PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : The First Masters 3/5

fredlag@noos.fr
12-05-2006, 13:36
The case of Ahmad effendi Hasanayn is the perfect example of why one should be very cautious when using Fikri Butrus's "al kitab al-dhahabi lil-fann, 100 mutrib fi 100 sana" as a source of information on this first generation of singers :
FB claims that Ahmad Hasanayn was born 1855, worked as a nile sailor (marakbi) before meeting Hamuli and working with him, died of phtisia in 1915, and that he was the first Arab singer ever to record on "istiwanat" in 1904.
Well, this is so erroneous that the few informations left unverified are therefore quite dubious :
if "istiwanat/ustuwanat " means rolls, then we know Hamuli recorded a few rolls before he died in 1900.
if the word is used in the sense of "discs", then the EMI music archive at Hayes shows without any doubt that Zonophone started recording in Cairo in april 1903, and that the first artists (not one, but a bunch of them actually) were Sayyid al-Safti, Muhammad Hasan (?), Nasr Hasanayn (?), Hasan Fu'ad (?). They recorded again in june and august 1903 Isma‘il Hafiz, Nafisa al-Bimbashiyya, Mahmud al-Tellegrafgi (!!!), Muhammad Salim, Sayyid Qasim, etc.
As for Ahmad Hasanayn's death, well he is mentioned as "al marhum Ahmad Hasanayn" in Khula‘i's "al musiqi al sharqi", dated 1322 H (= march1904/feb1905), so he obviously died much before what F. Butrus pretends. And even if Khula‘i had commited a mistake, the 1913 Odeon catalogue also lists him as "al-marhum Ahmad Hasanayn"...
One sure thing is that we don't know much about this madhhabgi with a rather barytone-type voice, not at all the tenor-like voices of Manyalawi or Hilmi or Higazi...
This is an interesting rendition of the higazkar dor "konte fen wel hobb-e fen", only 2 sides. Abu Ala' should be much more impressed with his voice and technique than with the poor al-Sab3 (sab3 el boromba elli tele3 qotta mghammada, ya hasra...). But 2 sides are hardly enough to judge the ability to extemporize, unfortunately.

Ahmad effendi Hasanayn
dor / kont-e fen wel hobb-e fen
Odeon 31611/12
recorded Cairo 1904

First side in correct condition, the second side is a little harsher on the ear. Typical ‘ud in the front as in all early Odeon records. Nice opening layali-s, very audible madhhabgeyya-s, making it useful to understand the role they play in the madhhab-phase of the dor.

أبو علاء
13-05-2006, 20:53
Indeed, I like the voice of this mutrib I hear for the first time as well as his modulations in this interpretation and this dawr is one my preferred ones. As I can see, Fred, you've got used to my taste and you can correctly foresee my reactions.:)
Fred, do I understand correctly (from the thesis) that you have the beautiful muwashah in bayati Qatili bighunji-l-kahali as interperted by Safti? Could you please upload it along with any other muwashahs you have of him?

أبو علاء
13-05-2006, 20:55
One more thing: isn't there a certain similarity between the voices of 'ahmad Hasanin and 'ahmad Ash-sheekh or is it just my imagination?

fredlag@noos.fr
14-05-2006, 11:55
Why not a series "78 rpm recordings of muwashshahat" after the "first masters" series, indeed... Will upload Safti's "qatili" when the first masters are over.
Ahmad al-Shaykh and Ahmad Hasanayn ??? I can't see the relation, one is so Syrian, the other so Egyptian...

3amr
14-05-2006, 12:11
considering we've mentioned the syrians, I have heard a recording of Mohammad al Ashiq on zeryab, and I must say (though my opinion is uninformed), incredible is an understatement when it comes to this man's voice.

returning to the theme of Muwashahat, I beg to add one request, Sheikh Mahmood Sobh, I mean I ADORE this man's voice and performance, not to mention his being one very "interesting" character.