fredlag@noos.fr
23-05-2006, 15:26
Since shaykh Ali al-Harith's voice and style have pleased everybody, this is :

layali bayyati, mawwal ya qalbi hokm el-hawa
Gramophone 18-212943/44 (91-3)
الشيخ علي الحارث
موال بياتي وموال يا قلبي حكم الهوى
electric recording, circa 1928

His voice is clearly inshadi in its nasalisation (ghunna, almost khanafa), his sentences are very elaborate, and remind a lot of Ali Mahmud.
It is a real pity Ali al-Harith only recorded two dor-s, "maliki ana ‘abdak" and "‘ahd el-ekhewwa", in which he excells, for Gramophone. The other titles are qasa'id inshad and mawawil. The programs of the Egyptian radio in 1935 (to be found in Mahmud al-Hifni's magazine "al-musiqa") show that Ali al-Harith sung a weekly wasla, with mawwal + dor, for which we would love to have recordings and hear his beautiful and imaginative renditions. But before the early fourties, except with film, there were very little technical ways of recording a period of time longer than the standard 6 to 8 minutes afforded by the 78rpm record. The only way was what was called "Marconi Tape", which was extensively used by the radio, and could indeed tape a whole wasla, but the technical quality was, according to "al-musiqa"'s constant critics, very low, the voice constantly fading in and out. So there are indeed authentic recordings ever since 1934 (the Egyptian radio bought a second marconi machine in 1935), but it is quite probable those "primitive" tapes were not archived, except for some alledged Umm Kulthum concerts of the 1937-40 period, kept by collectors.

أبو علاء
23-05-2006, 16:08
Thank you so much, Fed. This guy is simply unbelievable by all standards. What a beautiful voice! Ghunna, of course, but what is amazing about his voice is that mix of buhhah and ri'shah (I suppose we can translate the second by "sort of natural thrill", but I don't have a translation to offer for the first one) that makes it such a unique voice and so adapted to this kind of singing. What's also tremendous about his renditons of these two dors he recorded is his remarkable inventivity and his ability to generate new ornamentations at such a belated stage when dawr interpretation along the line of the nahdah tradition was about to disappear once for all.
When I heard Maliki for the first time, I was already struck by the beauty of both the dawr and the performance and I think I wrote it somewhere and said it to Najib and that's the reason to my choosing it to start that series with. Yet, when I had that idea yesterday of re-posting some of the recordings included in the hakawati and revisited the recording I was even more impressed as though I discovered it anew and, believe it or not, I have been listening to it repeatedly for a good part of yesterday evening and today with the secret desire of memorising it, what I have failed to to this minute despite my memorising of hundreds of songs.
What I would not give to have some of those radio broadcast waslas of his?

Najib
23-05-2006, 16:21
Allah ya Fred, teslam.

Where to start?

It’s such a feast. Akkad’s wonderful notes in the beginning, and his super acrobatic kaflah 1’33”

Hareth’s hauntingly beautiful bayat shuri attacks 0’58 and 5’13 which Sami recriprocates at 3’08.

His legendary layalis.

I love his 4’11 sikah qalbah where he draggs Sami with him, and the wonderful way he manoeuvres out of it 4’31 (back to a bit of Nahawand?)

And what best to conclude with than Sami’s trademark glissandos 5’29 and 5’33 (Glissandos that I listened to for the first time in my life on an AAA cd back in 2001)

Najib
23-05-2006, 16:29
one peculiar thing to notice is that 3akkad plays without Shawwa up to 2'51 and then Shawwa plays in the rest without 3akkad!!!

What happened? did they have a fight, and said this Mawwal isn't big enough for both of us? :-)

fredlag@noos.fr
24-05-2006, 09:15
This is not the ony record in which qanun and violin sort of split the accompaniment between the two sides of the record. Sami's reciprocation is all the more admirable, knowing there was a side change. I don't know how much time it took at the electric era, but he obviously had to sit idle and remember what Ali had done for a few minutes before translating it...

alshame
25-05-2006, 19:36
مشكور سيدي الكريم على هذا التسجيل النادر جدا