PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : In the Path of God : 3 versions of qasidat "a la fi sabili -llah" (2/3)

fredlag@noos.fr
08-06-2006, 11:14
Perhaps this file will drive away people... Perhaps this only for mad lovers of classical music who have heard so many hundreds of 78rpms that they want completely original stuff.
Shaykh Yusuf al-Manyalawi "Sama3 al-Muluk" records are not for the faint of heart : they were recorded in 1905 by the German company Beka for Orosdi-Back department stores in Cairo, and they were, in spite of their prestigious name and their wonderful blue-and-gold sticker, perfectly awful in terms of technical quality.
BUT, they offer very interesting perspective on Manyalawi's ability to vary his renditions, and sometimes offer titles he did not record later for Gramophone, in much better conditions.
Here, on this two-side record, you will find two short qasida-s in the "ah ya ana" style, both bayyati (with strange saba accidentals by the takht, not followed by the singer),"A la fi sabili -llah" and "Lam yatul layli wa lakin lam anam". Of course, those among you who know their Manyalawi by heart and have been revising their exams in Manyalawilogy already know where I'm getting at : Manyalawi's classic 2-side recording of A la fi sabili -llah for gramophone, a true chef d'oeuvre, is sikah-huzam. So a bayyati version is a delicacy for the conoisseurs. As for Bashshar b. Burd's wonder "lam yatul layli", he simply never recorded it for Gram, only Abd al-Hayy Hilmi did (and boy did he...). So that's another gem. The price to pay is high : awful surface noise, and this primitive recording technique that makes the takht sound like one of those metallic music boxes children of my generation got for christmas, to the point you don't even know if the accompanying instrument is a qanun or a 3ud or more probably both. But the voice is clearly audible.
Kharagat bis-samt 3an la wa-na3am... Aaaaaaaaaaah yaani ! genius verse by Bashshar, genius sentence by Yusuf.
Another point : these are representative of what I would call the 1st sub-group of qasida-s muwaqqa3a / ah ya ana : the almost completely improvised, non-composed one. The 2nd subgroup we will hear later.
Sama3 al-Muluk (BEKA) 1257/1258

الشيخ يوسف المنيلاوي
قصيدتا / ألا في سبيل الله - لم يطل ليلي ولكن لم أنم
تسجيل سمع الملوك 1905

Najib
08-06-2006, 13:02
But there isn't much work here - Just kidding :-)

Despite the technical quality not being as our favourite Favorite, I think it's vintage 3ammy Yusuf as always. Thanks.

I have a question please (it really applies to a lot of these Qasaid muaqqa'ah):

After they finish ah yana the takht goes into quick 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 doukah notes, now this is not wuhdah is it? or is there a riqq player discretely holding the wuhdah that only the mutrib can hear, but we can't hear.

I've read the section in the thesis this morning, but my question is with regards to what you actually hear on the recording itself.

I mean you can roughly follow his internal wuhdah from his singing, but was there someone from the Alatiyyah holding it for him?

Sorry too many questions

alshame
08-06-2006, 13:42
تسلم ايديك على هذه النوادر والله اقترح تخصيص باب للكنوز التي يتحفنا بها السيد فريد فهو يستاهل والله

أبو علاء
09-06-2006, 23:09
I'm going to surprise you both, and this is not meant to tease Najib, but I prefer Hilmi's version!:) Manyalawi here is too much in a hurry - why the hell did he have to record two qasids, one on each side, instead of one like Hilmi? This caused the tempo to be accelerated and yet he hardly starts the dulabi-l-'awadhil that the first side is already over! Very bad commercial attitude. You'll understand in such circumstances I prefer Hilmi's carelessness and nonchalance. The sikah motif is equally manifest here, Fred, which probably means it was one of the elements of the Hamulian approach to this semi-composed qasidah rather than a personal fantasy of either of the singers (I need listen to Safti's version to see whether it is there too.).

Najib
10-06-2006, 18:39
No, no surprise their, I can understand where you're coming from.

For me, after what Fred explained, especially with regards to the 3awazel lazmah, I now appreciate how difficult the stuff is. I tried to sing it and I failed, but then I went back to my collection of recently recorded stuff to see some "experts" singing it, and they failed miserably as well! (I'm not going to mention names). Someone was actually cheating to make it fit the rhythm which isn't really the spirit of the thing at all.

With that in the background I like Manyalawi's version because it's just too perfect!