PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : In the Path of God : The Last Version, Manyalawi Gramophone

fredlag@noos.fr
11-06-2006, 11:04
Of course, all those previous versions of qasidat "A la fi sabili-llah" are small children compared to the ultimate version, Shaykh Yusuf al-Manyalawi's Gramophone version.
Recorded Cairo may 1910 by Arthur S. Clarke.
01270809, matrix nb 175/176z.

The shaykh chose originality and decided for maqam huzam and a very wide ambitus. Color Sikah in this qasida being marked by all the singers, from the beginning, it is perhaps a halt Hamuli marked in his construction (provided one accepts the hypothesis of a "matricial" hamuli version) and which prompted shaykh Yusuf's creativity to shortpass the bayyati beginning and go directly to huzam.
The qasida is much more rich and complex in its construction than the preceding version, and his vocal abilities are impressive in this extremely clean recording. This piece illustrates the second type of qasa'id 3ala al-wahda, the pre-composed category. The only source that evokes shaykh Yusuf as a "composer" is Izz al-Arab Ali, in "al-magalla al-musiqiyya" 34 (september 1937), and the writer specifically quotes his late qasa'id. I see this is quite justified, provided one distinguishes his short pieces on one side of a disk from his long qasa'id with complex architecture, such as "fa-ya muhgati dhubi gawan" bayyati, "mayyaztu bayna gamaliha" husayni, "fatakatu lahziki" higaz and "'ala fi sabili-llah" or "in shakawta l-hawa" huzam. In those pieces, Manyalawi is the missing link between his old self or, say, Safti, and Abu al-Ila Muhammad.

beautiful "da'iilan" at 3'50, just before the second side. Short sentence in musta3ar around 6'25.

أعظم تسجيل لقصيدة ألا في سبيل الله
الشيخ يوسف المنيلاوي لشركة جراموفون 1910
وأقترح على المؤمنين، وليس كلامي من باب المزاح، قراءة الفاتحة على روح مهندس الصوت السيد آرثر كلارك، الذي سجل صوت الشيخ في شهر مايو ويونيو من هذه السنة بجودة
حقا مذهلة
عندما نتذكر أن هذه الاسطوانة حُفرت منذ قرن
فمهما كانت أغراض شركته تجارية، فإنه خدم الموسيقى العربية أيما خدمة وخلّد صوت الشيخ يوسف فشكرا له.

Article by Izz al-Arab Ali included.
Tih Dalalan was *never* recorded by Yusuf al-Manyalawi, neither for Sama3 al-Muluk nor for Gramophone.

Najib
11-06-2006, 11:20
today is pentecost day in the Eastern calendar, so I'll remember Mr Clarke when I'm singing with my choir, going there now.

Thanks Fred, we'll go back after I listen to the delicious content.

oudman
11-06-2006, 13:22
شكرا لك يا فريد على هذه التحفه الهائله وقد قرأت الفاتحه على روح كلارك (ولأنها تجوز على كل الأرواح)

alshame
11-06-2006, 13:26
مشكور سيدي الكريم وتسلم ايدين المهدس السيد آرثر ورحمه الله

أبو علاء
11-06-2006, 21:50
Excellent version indeed and excellent recording! 'alfu rahmatin 'ala ruhi-s-sir Clarke. Only now I understand what musta'ar is. Manyalawi produces an amazing rast sentence amidst his huzam feast in min 2' 20"-2' 34". That's what one can call a tour de force. I also liked much the bayati section min 5-6.

Najib
12-06-2006, 12:09
Ala Fi Sabil 3/3 +++

This is a fantastic rendition indeed. I can feel the dum of the Wuhda of the iqa3gy, whilst I couldn't feel that in the previous recordings.

Thanks Fred, and bless your soul Mr Clarke.

Hattouma
12-06-2006, 17:57
1000 rahma fatha read ...
i noticed dawahi el-ouyoun was also a very good quality (you mentioned it was recorded
1908 ..even older !)
problem now after i listen to this one ,i won't listen to the other ones :)

Hattouma
12-06-2006, 18:20
seems Arthur Clarke is really important in the history of recordings ,not only for Egypt ..

a quick search on the net ..

from http://www.bolingo.org/audio/texts/fr133greeks.html :

Fortunately it is possible to gain a real sense of what Greek music is, in all its delicious variety, by re-examining the aural evidence from 1910 onwards. Probably the first Greek recordings ever made were secured by Arthur Clarke, of the Gramophone Company, on a visit to Smyrna in about mid-1910. The city, although nominally Turkish, had long supported a substantial Greek community. When Clark visited with his one-and- a-half tons of recording equipment, he sought out and preserved over 350 recordings. Included in this cache were the first examples of the so- called 'Smyrna Style' that, for tragic political reasons, was to be injected into Athenian music twelve years later.

from http://www.bolingo.org/audio/texts/vjm_engineers.html :

Most collectors recognise the pioneering work of Fred Gaisberg in recording early operatic vocals, and many are also aware of his contemporaries such as W. Sinkler Darby, the Hamp Brothers, Cleveland Walcutt and Arthur Clarke. Although much attention has been paid to the work these men did in capturing the artistry of giant figures like Caruso and Tamagno, little attention has been paid to either their early efforts in the field of 'ethnic' recording, or to the later endeavours of the travelling engineers who followed in the electric era.

fredlag@noos.fr
12-06-2006, 19:20
@ Hatem :

See the discography I posted this weekend : all the May 1910 recordings are by Arthur Clarke and they're ALL fantastic in terms of technical quality (as for artistic quality, this goes without saying).
Some of them were already issued on the CDA CD, uploaded by Abu Ala' : la tahsibu anna mayli and man lahu 3ahdun, hamilu l-hawa and uhibbuki ya salam, b-eftekarak eh yefidak, allah ya3lamu, fa-ya muhgati dhubi gawan.

So the only remaining titles, now that I've uploaded A la fi sabili-llah, are :

mayyaztu bayna gamaliha wa-dalaliha ; wasl el-habib

You've almost already got it all !

:)

Hattouma
12-06-2006, 23:07
hmm ..ala aqal men rahtak ..ana mesh melaaahe2' :)
i listend today ,i liked this one the best followed by Hilmi's (really really loved Hilmi's ... .. did you notice how Hilmi says 3andenna (in dulab el-awazel in the begining ..?:)) from a first 1 or 2 "listens" also liked Saleh's(which is very different ).
Sheikh Yousef modulation -(to sika as you say ) makes one melt ..
يدوب كده زي حتة السكر معا التقليب........إحساس الواحد بيحسوا كتير مع الشيخ يوسف
ابتديت أخرف ..أدخل أنام أحسن