PDA

: Bekir Sidki Sezgin

AmbroseBierce
25-06-2006, 01:09
Upon request by 3amr: two pieces from the third disc of Bekir Sidki Sezgin's 3-CD-set published by Kaf Mzik.

3amr
25-06-2006, 06:21
I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with this guy.

thanks from the bottom of my heart, oh, and I'm sincerely hoping germany will take this world cup.

3amr
26-06-2006, 11:01
Would the Irticali Ashr-i Sherif be in rast by any chance?

If it is, then the Suznak touches are just magnificent.

Najib
26-06-2006, 13:34
Yes the lower part is Rast, and there are hints of suznak, but more than that, I don't think there is a single Rast denomination that uncle Sidki hasn't tried here!

3amr
26-06-2006, 14:29
My ear is apparently getting better, but I think it's worth noting that turkish rast is much more enjoyable coming from the human voice than any other instrument, particularly if that voice was trained in the old religious school (before Selcuk started the new school of plain unornamented singing). This here being the nicest possible example.

I wonder if you could elaborate on the exactly what he was doing makam wise (if you don't mind that is), I could only catch the suznak bit.

I love that "uncle Sidki", going to stick with it from now on.

Najib
26-06-2006, 17:08
I can definitely spot

From the Rast family:

Suznak (hicaz on neva) at 1:06 and 2:03

Neyruz (bayat on Neva) at 2:13

(kurd on Neva) - Is that Tarz newin? at 4:15.

I'm sure Mohsen and Fred can contribute with more.

3amr
26-06-2006, 20:08
thanks a lot,

you know, I did notice the neyrouz bit, but I didn't figure out what it was, as for the kurd on neva, I have no idea how that didn't catch my attention. (all I know was that it was frighteningly emotional).

I can't wait to get settled and start stocking up on turkish CD's. (it's enough credit for the turks that these CD's are actually still available commercially)

Hakem
27-06-2006, 08:38
Thanks a lot Paul.
Could you be able to post 1 or 2 selections from CD 1 and/or 2 "KLASiKLER" I have heard many of his religious work, but never from the secular work and Sharki.
Many thanks

Najib
27-06-2006, 10:47
3amr,

This is exactly the point. The makam transition is so seamless that it takes a lot of focusing to spot it.

He wasn't just a singer of the style be he taught Ottoman music all his life.

He really lived this stuff, and it shows.

Salamat
Najib

3amr
27-06-2006, 11:02
pretty valid point there.

as for Hakem's request, I think it would be interesting to compare his Neva Kar with the famous one by Selcuk. (that would be first track, first CD, and very very long).

I'm sure Najib is comtemplating the Aka Gndz Dugah Taksim in track 11 ;)

AmbroseBierce
28-06-2006, 23:31
I'll follow your advice, 3amr. So here is Bekir Sidki Sezgin's interpretation of Buhurizade Mustafa Itri's Neva Kar "Glbn-i 'iys midemed saki-i gl-'izar ku?". Also you find Dede Efendi's Neva Yrksemai "Ey gonca-dehen 'ah-i seherden hazer eyle" and the brief Dugah Taksim played by Akagndz Kutbay - yes, Najib will like that one. All three pieces are from the first album of this 3-CD-set. For the Neva Kar I had to reduce the bitrate to 96, otherwise it wouldn't have fitted the 14 MB maximum file size. I hope the sound quality is sufficient nevertheless to enjoy this beautiful music.

mtevekkil
29-06-2006, 01:43
thanks everybody for all information and music files..

3amr
29-06-2006, 08:33
I'll post my impressions once I listen in a moment,

but first I need to provide a couple of links

Another interpretation and the sheetmusic of the Neva Kar posted by Anton Efendi (whose contributions in this department have been missed).

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1003

And, the famous Selcuk version posted by non other than Mr.Paul

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=708

3amr
29-06-2006, 09:20
ok,

the interpretation of the Kar is nothing short of magnificent, and quite quite different from Selcuk who treats Itri as if he was Haydn (compared to Dede Efendi's Mozart), where as uncle Sidki insists here that Itri is Brahms. I don't know if this would make sense to non classical listeneres here, but to try to explain, Haydn and Brahms are both masters of structure, but whereas Haydn sticks to the classical ideal, Brahms was more a romantic by heart, and his music shows it. Here, uncle Sidki sings with his voice and heart working together, sewing the piece together instead of emphasizing its heart stopping transitions.

The (what appears to be) saba section is magnificent, and vocally speaking, uncle Sidki is the clear victor in the battle of voices. (selcuk's voice is very capable, but doesn't give the same titanic impression that bekir gives).

The Dede efendi Yrk Semai is delightful (delicious also comes to mind).

Aka gndz is...... let's just put it this way: whoever invented Dugah makam, did so while residing in a psychiatric hospital, and listening to aka gunduz is enough to send anybody back there.

ɡ

dem
19-08-2006, 20:37
Dear friends; there is some records of a radio program where solist is Bekir Sıdkı Sezgin. I think the records are 15 or 20 years old.

http://www.rapidshare.de/files/12558091/B.S.Sezginradyokay_tlar_.rar.html

Najib
22-08-2006, 11:44
The link is not working, please try to upload the songs for everyone's benefit.

Thanks
Najib

Hattouma
22-08-2006, 13:43
Najib , I am doawloading it , it is 53Mega .rar file !
will check it out later(cannot see rar files at work ) and let you know ..You can download the file by clicking the link , then selecting "free" from the rapid share table in the page ...waiting for a bout 60-80 seconds (until the count down finishes ), entering the 2-3 letters code and pressing download.

dem
22-08-2006, 19:33
Try this link. This is same link. Link is working. And the files as working also. Just do it like Hattouma says.
The recors where recording to magnetic casette and ripped to the digital format.

http://www.rapidshare.de/files/12558091/B.S.Sezginradyokay_tlar_.rar.html

Have a nice day.

AmbroseBierce
22-08-2006, 21:23
In this and the following posts I'll upload all the songs dem brought to us via rapidshare - there the link gets deleted after some time. I think we should have the music here.

AmbroseBierce
22-08-2006, 21:33
part II

AmbroseBierce
22-08-2006, 21:43
part III

AmbroseBierce
22-08-2006, 21:53
finally part IV. I'd be happy if yomeone could provide some info on the tracks.

Hattouma
22-08-2006, 22:57
Thanks Dem ..what i hear so far is really good !!
can you give us any info ,the name of the album , tracks ..?

Guys excuse my ignorance ,but who is Bekir Sıdkı Sezgin ?

Najib
23-08-2006, 13:00
Ambrose, thanks for uploading this treasure of a cassette.

Dem thanks for providing the original link.

Hatim, it is not our policy to upload full CDs, but when it is something as rare as this then we should without any hesitation. Even the 3 "commercial" CDs of Bekir are hard to get.

Bekir was the last Dini (Religious) singer and teacher. He only died recently. In the last couple of month our friend Zeryab uploaded a clip of him and Cinucen Tanrikorur playing together on the Zeryab forum.

His voice is so sweet yet powerful, and shows a mastership of Ottoman classical music.

From what I hear so far, it seems a Kurdilli Hicaz Kar Fasli, but I'll get more accurate stuff in September when my Turkish expert is back!

Hattouma
23-08-2006, 15:08
Thanks Najib ...
mentioning dini ...do you have a turkish equivelant of ibtihalat or tawashih ? (like Omran ..etc so without music ?)

Najib
23-08-2006, 18:56
There is stuff by Sezgin, by Kaynak which sounds more like Gazels but with Dini contexts.

There are also other forms that are close to ibtihals etc..

I think we should do a thread about the "genres" of Dini music in the Ottoman repertoire.

AmbroseBierce
23-08-2006, 19:16

I am quite astonished to see that google provides only turkish language sources on Bekir Sidki Sezgin, as does the 3-CD-pack I have. So in fact all I could find out was the dates of his life: 1936-1996 and a couple of places where other artists proded themselves of having played with or being influenced by Sezgin. And there is a video documentary on him (again in Turkish):

Bekir Sidki Sezgin - Documentary
A documentary on Turkish composer and vocalist Bekir Sidki Sezgin (1936-1996)
Approximately 60 mins.
Directed by Mehmet Eryilmaz
In Turkish
VCD Film and 32 page book
(compatible with most DVD players in North America)
Price: $22.50

http://www.goldenhorn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GH&Product_Code=V108&Category_Code=V

dem
23-08-2006, 21:13

Hi friends.
This is a radio concert recording from Turkish TRT ( Turkiye Radyo ve Televizyonu ) . I think that in track one the spiker says the radio programs makam, tracks names and who are the players of enstruments.
This recors are not recorded from album. They are originaly recorded from radio to magnetic tape. After that to digital format.
I have more of this records, and if you want I will share it for you.

AmbroseBierce
24-08-2006, 09:21
Thanks for the offer, dem. Don't hesitate in sharing what you think is interesting for the members of this forum.

Hattouma
24-08-2006, 16:23
There is stuff by Sezgin, by Kaynak which sounds more like Gazels but with Dini contexts.

There are also other forms that are close to ibtihals etc..

I think we should do a thread about the "genres" of Dini music in the Ottoman repertoire.

Etakela ala allah :)

I would like to listen to Turkish religous singing (with no accompanying music) .i have a short piece recorded from the radio that sound almost exactly like ibtihalat ..will post it soon ..

Dem ..feel free to add any interesting classical turkish -oriental-ottomon makam music ,thanks in advance .

Hattouma
03-09-2006, 18:59
Dem , Najib, Paul , here it is : would be nice if you can find files of this sort :

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7941

bekirbaloglu
20-01-2007, 15:00
Hello my friends, i uploaded a kaside from Bekir Sıdkı Sezgin and Tanbur: Necdet Yaşar
Tecellyı Cemlinden habibim nev bahar ateş

Najib
01-02-2007, 11:45
thanks for this Jewel.

I love the voice of Bekir bey.

Do you have anything classical by Meral Ugurlu?

Thanks
Najib

3amr
01-02-2007, 12:30
Thank you thank you thank you.

This is really amazing stuff.

Anything by Bekir Sidki is always a great and very welcome surprize.

If you can give us the Kaside and the translation, I will be really grateful

dem
01-02-2007, 18:00
thanks for this Jewel.

I love the voice of Bekir bey.

Do you have anything classical by Meral Ugurlu?

Thanks
Najib

I will post it soon.

bekirbaloglu
04-02-2007, 05:01
Thank you thank you thank you.

This is really amazing stuff.

Anything by Bekir Sidki is always a great and very welcome surprize.

If you can give us the Kaside and the translation, I will be really grateful

Hello my friend,
My English is very bad :p so i can't translate this kaside but term of kaside means "eulogy".
Generally poets praises for Allah and for Muhammed and statesman.. It is singed like "Gazel" by the musicians. in fact an improvisation with a accompaning instrument or only voice.

I found a definition in Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

" Kaside: A form of poetry in Divan literature, which consists of fifteen couplets at least. The second verse of all couplets rhyme with the verse at the beginning. They usually praised the leading personalities of the age. "

Republic Of Turkey Ministry of Culture

(http://http://www.kultur.gov.tr/EN/BelgeGoster.aspx?17A16AE30572D313D4AF1EF75F7A7968B B8F8F00F0641BDC)

TECELLAYI CEMALINDEN

Tecellâyı cemalinden Habibim nevbahar âteş,
Gül ateş, bülbül âteş, sümbül âteş, Hak ü hâr âteş.

Şuây-ı âfitâbındır yakan bil-cümle uşşâkı,
Dil âteş, sîne âteş, hem dü çeşm-i eşk-i bâr âteş.

Hayal-i şem-i rûyinle acep mi yansa can ü dil,
Nigârım gel de gör kalbimde âteş, ah ü zâr âteş.

Ne mümkün bunca âteşle, şehid-i aşkı gasl etmek,
Cesed âteş, kefen âteş, hem âb-ı hoşgüvar âteş.

Ben el çektim safay-ı hâtır u ârâm-ı cânımdan,
Safâ âteş, cefâ âteş, firâr âteş, karar âteş...

Ne yapsam bu dil-i mahzununu mesrûr eylemem şâhım
Gam âteş, gam-küsar, temennây-ı mesâr âteş...

Ümîd-i âfiyet besler mi Es’ad yârdan hâşâ,
Saçar oldukça gözden ol nigâr-ı gül'izar âteş...

M. Esad Erbili

I wrote whole of the kaside. If anyone knows english and turkish he can translate. However i can't it :(

3amr
04-02-2007, 07:38
Thank you.

Kaside in arabic means poem, and I can recognize a couple of other arabic words.

Shehid = martyr.
Ashk = Love.
Mahzun= sad.
Mesrur= happy.

that's as far as I can go with my arabic.:o

Any turks want to try?

kabh01
04-02-2007, 11:00
The late Bekir Sidki is a truly great artist. He has a very delightful yet strong voice especially at the higher notes. As for modes changing and improvisation he is a real professional.

Thanks a million Amr for bringing this to my attention. His performance reminds me by some of the old recordings of sheikh Salah-u-ddine, in the 40's and 50's, as he had inhaled all this Turkish music culture from his late father Sheikh Ali whose religious singing and azans were rather instilled, infused and inspired by such a kind of music during The Ottoman Empire.

As far as the Azan was concerned I would say this is very similar to the al- Azan Al Sultani that is still performed in Syria. However, I have my reservation with regard to his Qur'an reciting. Not being picky and fussy here as one cannot fault his artistic manoeuvres, but his "ahkam", "makharij" and "wakf" were no where near correct. This say, obviously his mother tongue neither is Arabic nor is he a learned "Quran reciter" but he only does it to portray his capability in Quran reciting, which is very perceptible from the inventive point of view.

May Allah bless his soul.

3amr
04-02-2007, 15:24
I'm glad you liked it.

The Kaside is one of best pieces of turkish music I have heard yet.

The reason bekir recites is because as far as I know, it's part of Mevlevi ceremonies.