PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Rosa Eskenazi

AmbroseBierce
26-10-2006, 01:44
Here are two songs by Rosa Eskenazi I recently found on the net. Enjoy!

Hi Paul we have a better quality version of Kanarini:

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38&highlight=kanarini

AmbroseBierce
12-11-2006, 02:50
Thanks, Najib.

I hope I won't again upload poor quality versions of songs already here :)

"Roza Eskenazi (Constantinople–Athens 1980) was born into a Jewish family and came to live in Greece when she was still a child. She was discovered singing in a taverna by record producer Panayiotis Toundas in 1929 and embarked on a successful career spanning over four decades. Eskenazi excelled at amanédhes, Smyrnéïka songs and hasiklídhika, and her coquettish, lilting delivery is unmistakable. ‘Enas Mangas Sto Teke Mou’ is a zeïbékiko from Roza’s career peak during the 1930s, and its lyrics demonstrate the inviolability of a mángas’ smoking session – woe betide the narc or (as in this case) another hostile mángas who disturbed a mastoúria, or peaceful high. Here the narrator’s nargilés, and for good measure baglamás, are smashed, and the aggrieved victim calls out to a friend for a knife to make short work of his adversary. This version has a final stanza where the offender begs for the knife to be put away and cravenly offers to make good the damages, but in other versions the song ends ominously at the point where he’s about to be carved up. The main accompanist is Dimitris ‘Salonikios’ Semsis (Stromnitsa, Macedonia 1883–Athens 1950), the greatest Balkan fiddler of his age, who served, like several other musicians, as director of a Greek record label (in this case Columbia, from 1926). The zeïbékiko ‘Nea Meraklou’, loaded with rebetic argot, tells of a merakloú (the female counterpart to a mángas) who frequents beer halls and has her cap set for a mángas, whom she hopes will have eyes only for her rather than smoke hash or chase other bargirls. Kostas Tzovenos (1988–1985), who composed ‘Nea Meraklou’, was of Naxiot descent (with forefathers from the island of Náxos) and lived his entire life in Athens. During the late 1920s he played sandoúri and cembalo at the Zefyros club, in Psyrrí district, with Andonios ‘Dalgas’ Dhiamandidhis, Spiros Peristeris and Kostas Karipis."

Hakem
15-11-2006, 15:54
Well Paul, Roza is one of my weakest point, I always say that if I was born in the early 1900 my life would have been different! Thank you for this.

Since this page dedicated to The Diva, I will put a link to the song I posted in the Anatolian folk song section:
Kadifis - Roza Eskenazi
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1005&page=2

AmbroseBierce
16-11-2006, 01:18
Here's one more for you, Hakem (from the 1992 Rounder CD "Rembetica - Historic Urban Folk Songs from Greece"):

Anton Efendi
16-11-2006, 03:13
A very sad amanes, Nini, by Grigoris Asikis (1890 – 1967) from the album, The Rough Guide to Rembetika.

Κοιμήσου γιατί χάσαμε, παιδί μου, τη μαμά σου.
Νά σέ φιλήσω, μάτια μου, νά δρόσει την καρδιά σου.

Νίνι, νάνι.

Άμαν, σε μιά στιγμή ορφάνεψες καί έχασες τη φολιά σου.
Μέρα καί νύχτα αγρυπνώ, παιδάκι μου, παιδάκι μου, κοντά σου.

Νίνι, νάνι.

3amr
16-11-2006, 22:22
I have the same sort of thing in turkish by udi hrant, a really amazing file from an out of print LP. I'll try to upload it over the weekend of nobody else has it.

AmbroseBierce
17-11-2006, 03:22
forgot the file! Here it is.

I had already uploaded the very same song here:
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1654

AmbroseBierce
17-11-2006, 03:24
I have the same sort of thing in turkish by udi hrant, a really amazing file from an out of print LP. I'll try to upload it over the weekend of nobody else has it.

Yes, please do so! I'm quite curious about that!

3amr
17-11-2006, 10:54
this is the udi Hrant nenni I promissed, where the tune is very similar to the one in greek, and I suppose even the lyrics should somehow correlate (I don't know either turkish or greek, so I'd appreciate any help with either version).

many thanks to Mike's Ouds, which is where I got it from, and thanks again to the member who made it available to mike from an old LP (can't remember who it was).

it's in mp4 format, so, you'd need something to play it, I'm sorry but I don't have the means to convert it to anything.

AmbroseBierce
19-11-2006, 15:33
Here are some more songs by Roza from the CD "Lost Homelands: The Smyrnaic Song in Greece (1928-1935)":

Hakem
19-11-2006, 18:52
Here's one more for you, Hakem (from the 1992 Rounder CD "Rembetica - Historic Urban Folk Songs from Greece"):

Allah allah! Thank you Paul for this. This is a remarkable CD, I don't have it. The Lost Homeland CD is a treasure.

Anton Efendi
19-11-2006, 20:33
Amanes, Tinous na po ton pono mou (To Whom Can I Tell My Pains), by Marika Kanaropoulou ("Tourkalitsa"). From the Women of Rembetica CD.

Not as famous as Rita or Roza, but a fabulous amane singer.

Αμάν
Τίνους νά πω τον πόνο μου νά με παρηγορήσει,
Αφού ο κόσμος ψέφτησε καί η ζωή θα σβήσει;

Anton Efendi
19-11-2006, 20:42
Sometimes you find her referred to as Marika Brousalia, like on the Lost Homelands CD which has a Manes Sabah of hers. Brousalia is in reference to her hometown of Bursa (Brousa in Greek, Brousalia = "the Brousan"), in Turkey (hence her other nickname "Tourkalitsa," the little Turkish girl).

AmbroseBierce
20-11-2006, 02:38
Thanks, Anton, a nice song.

AmbroseBierce
09-01-2007, 23:32
Here's another song by Rosa Eskenazi I found on an album called "Ta Authentika Rembetika Vol.5", published by MINOS-EMI in 2006.

الملك الضليل
19-01-2007, 21:18
Mister AmbroseBierce: On Which site can we find ROZA albums available

AmbroseBierce
19-01-2007, 22:41
Mister AmbroseBierce: On Which site can we find ROZA albums available
I don't know, really. As of now I have come across only one album dedicated fully to Rosa Eskenazi's songs: "Rembetissa 1933-36", published by Rounder Records in 1997. That one is widely available (at amazon and elsewhere). All other recordings I have are one song here, another there, distributes about on many samplers of Rembetiko music. Some of these I found at www.skafunkrastapunk.com (a fantastic forum, by the way), if I remember correctly.

الملك الضليل
19-01-2007, 23:54
Many thanks & kind regards

XPHCTOC
23-10-2007, 20:35
More informations about Roza :)
http://www.btinternet.com/~judyin.london/rozaeskenazi/roza1.htm

AmbroseBierce
27-10-2007, 03:10
More informations about Roza :)
http://www.btinternet.com/~judyin.london/rozaeskenazi/roza1.htm
Thanks - that's a nice site.

Hakem
18-04-2008, 19:38
Been away from the Forum for a long time, and since Roza was the one who sparked my interested in Ottoman and post-Ottoman music traditions... I return with this joyful song:

Title: Horepse mou Tsiftetli
Album: Anthologia Rebetikou Tragoudiou (CD 1)

It is inspired from western Anatolian folk tune... Singers, such as Eleftheria Arvanitaki, have sung variations of it.

Hakem
18-06-2009, 12:31
Just got a 4-CD set called

"Rembetika: The Ottoman Legacy 1925-1937; Greek Music from the Underground"

I am not sure if those two songs have been featured before, but this recording is excellent, and the instrumentation of the great Istanbul Oudi Aghapios Tombuli is special!

In “GAZELI SABACH” Roza improvises mostly without any instruments too!

Najib
24-06-2009, 23:48
Thank you Hakem and welcome back.

This is fantastic Rosa's voice here is absolutely peak and the Oud of Agapios Tomboulis has never sounded sweater.

I strongly advise you to listen.