PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : More old Rembetiko singers

AmbroseBierce
12-11-2006, 03:06
Here I'll post some songs by Rembetiko singers of the older days. I'll start with Marika Papagika, of which it is said that she dominated the scene in the 1920's, just like Rita Abatzi and Roza Eskenazi did in the 1930's.

I found a very brief note about her in the net:

"One of the first generation of Greek women singers to be heard on sound recordings, Marika Papagika was born on the island of Kos on September 1, 1890.
Her family moved to Egypt, probably Alexandria, when she was young. She began her career in this country, working in nightspots that catered for the large resident Greek community. It is likely that she made her first recordings here as well.
Around 1915 she emigrated to the USA where she continued performing and recording. By the mid-1920's she and her husband Kostas ['Gus'], a cembalo player, had their own club in New York. She regularly worked with the fine violinist Athanasios Makedonas. Marika's versatile repertory included folksongs, 'light', European-style songs, but she became a noted exponent of the Smyrnaic style of the rebetiko tragoudi.
She and her husband apparently lost the nightspot in the great financial crisis of 1929, and her recording career ended in the late 1930's. Marika died in New York in 1943; it has been said that she died of disappointment."

AmbroseBierce
12-11-2006, 03:17
The next song is by Grigoris Asikis. Again a brief note on his life:

"Grigoris Asikis (Constantinople 1890–Athens 1967) worked as a wooden-bed craftsman in his youth. He only became a professional musician after he had immigrated to Athens in 1922, and continued to perform until ill health forced his retirement in 1960. As well as being one of Greece’s recognized oud masters, Asikis was a notable composer and lyricist. The affecting song on the album is a lullaby for an infant that has lost its mother in childbirth, with Lambros Leondaridhis again appearing on the politikí (Constantinople-style) lyra."

AmbroseBierce
12-11-2006, 03:42
Another fine singer is Dimitris Atroidis. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on him.

AmbroseBierce
12-11-2006, 04:11
The last singer for tonight is K. Kapiris - again no information found.

Hakem
15-11-2006, 15:37
Wonderful Paul. I am looking forward to hearing them. For archival purposes, can you please give us the source CD of each.

AmbroseBierce
16-11-2006, 01:18
Wonderful Paul. I am looking forward to hearing them. For archival purposes, can you please give us the source CD of each.
OK, Marika Papagika and Grigoris Asikis are from "The Rough Guide to the Music of Rembetika" - quite a popular edition, but with lots of true goodies.
K. Kapiris and Dimitris Atroidis are from the 1996 Kalan Müzik album "Rebetika 2 - Old Songs from Istanbul and Izmir", another fine compilation.

outistas
18-06-2008, 18:10
Hi,

Here is a very special rendition of the famous and often recorded "Mavili" with a very Byzantine tone overall. I've heard many recordings of this song (one from 1905), and yet this one will always be my favorite.

I hope you enjoy it (sorry if it has already been posted). Nouros was a very special singer - from Smyrna I think. This recording is from the album "Amanedes".

Take care,

m