PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : A tribute to Ahmet Ertegun

Najib
16-12-2006, 00:12
Ahmet Ertegun who died today in his eighties was not the sort of man you would immediately think of when you're talking about classical oriental music.

He was the son of the Turkish embassador to the states and he established Atlantic Records and launched the careers of Jazz giants Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.

So why a Jazz record owner is mentioned in this forum and in this religious section? Because he produced one of the most memorable CDs in the history of sufi recording, a CD that is quite difficult to get hold of with the simple name of The Whirling Dervishes.

The CD presented here is a complete Sufi ceremony including Quran recitation. It happened in the states also sponsered by Ertegun.

It was the first time Americans taste a complete ceremony.

The musicians/performers are deeply rooted in classical Turkish music.

Amongst them:

Saadettin Heper on Kudum (drums)
Akagunduz Kutbay on Ney (I've fallen in love with his playing thanks to this CD)
Kani Karaca - Hafiz

I hope that, like me, you will enjoy it.

Najib
16-12-2006, 00:29
Continued - Second and final part

Najib
16-12-2006, 11:13
Firstly of all I would like to dedicate this CD also to our sister Radhia. We wish her luck in her work.

Secondly I want to stress that although these are Ottoman Art pieces of music, I am presenting them here in the religious section because they consist of a complete sacred music mevlevi ceremony including Quran recitation.

Also please notice that the third track is the famous Bayati Pesrevi by Emin Dede this is a typical example of difference between Bayati and Ussak. Notice the descending nature of the music in the pesrev and notice how long it takes the musicians to arrive on the doukah karar.

With musical greetings
Najib

أبو علاء
16-12-2006, 13:21
What a majestic pesrev, Najib! Thank you so much.

mehsendoueihi
16-12-2006, 18:12
Firstly of all I would like to dedicated this also to our sister Radhia. We wish her luck in her work.

Secondly I want to stress that although these are Ottoman Art pieces of music, I am presenting them here in the religious section because they consist of a complete sacred music mevlevi ceremony including Quran recitation.

Also please notice that the third track is the famous Bayati Pesrevi by Emin Dede this is a typical example of difference between Bayati and Ussak. Notice the descending nature of the music in the pesrev and notice how long it takes the musicians to arrive on the doukah karar.

With musical greetings
Najib
i grew up in tripoli and my grandmother used to take us to Mar Gerges where there used to be a great chantor from the Coutia family i am just wondering if that's you

أبو علاء
16-12-2006, 19:40
That's Najib's father.:)

Najib
16-12-2006, 23:08
Dear Mehsen,

Good surprise :-) It is indeed my dad. Here's a sample in this forum:

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=770

Dear Abu 3alaa,

I'm glad you liked the Pesrev, it is indeed a lovely piece.

There is a lot to discover in these few tracks. Notice the long Hicaz section on 5, it is terminated - at 23' 27" - by the most beautiful and pure ney notes I've ever heard preceding track 6 where the recital of Surat al Rahman happens on high Rast, still in Hicaz.

mehsendoueihi
17-12-2006, 12:52
Dear Mehsen,

Good surprise :-) It is indeed my dad. Here's a sample in this forum:

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=770

Dear Abu 3alaa,

I'm glad you liked the Pesrev, it is indeed a lovely piece.

There is a lot to discover in these few tracks. Notice the long Hicaz section on 5, it is terminated - at 23' 27" - by the most beautiful and pure ney notes I've ever heard preceding track 6 where the recital of Surat al Rahman happens on high Rast, still in Hicaz.
that is a great surprise to hear that voice againwhich now reminds me of the opinion of lots of people at the time He had a greater voice than wadee3el safee or any other singer of that time

dem
17-12-2006, 13:55
What a great album.
I think the best voice I ever hearded is Kani Karaca. This ceremonie was recorded in New York ( 1978 ) and published in 1993.
There is cover and list of pieces.
Thanks a lot for sharing and the informations.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5433/2002039436wh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1. Naat-I Mevlana (Blessed Eulogy)
2. Ney Taksimi (Ney Improvisation)
3. Pesrev
4. Ney Taksimi (Ney Improvisation) / Ayin-Iserif (Blessed Ceremony) (part 1)
5. Ayin-Iserif (Blessed Ceremony, Part 2) / Ney Taksimi (Ney Improvisation)
6. Kuran-I Kerim (Recitation From The Koran)
7. Ney Taksimi (Ney Improvisation)

Najib
18-12-2006, 14:05
Thanks for the info and clarification Dem.

I'll upload the notation in another section and put a link here.

Radhia
19-12-2006, 17:11
Dear Najib
Im really moved by your delicate gesture ..Unfortunately ,my present location doesn t allow me to listen to the music but I will do it as soon as I go home .Thank you again