PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Old 78 recordings in the USA

YOUSEFELMUSSRI
02-02-2007, 06:09
Over 100 years ago hundreds of Muslims, Christians, and Jews from the Middle East moved to the USA. They were proud of their musical heritage and they recorded here as well.
I'm looking for those all recordings.
Does anyone have anything by Shahade Ashkar?
This is what little info I've found to date:
My limited information about Shahade qanun solo recordings includes:

1. Columbia E3201 "Taxim Hujaz Car"

The reverse side is a Naim Karacand violin piece "Taxim Seigah".

2. A 12" Maloof with these pieces:

"Rasd Mahoor" and "Takseem Nahawand"

No release number, but matrices 6723 and 6724

These are from 1917 and 1924.

The Roman alphabet transliterations of these titles are not mine.
Shahade Ashear's last name in the Roman alphabet is (mis-)spelled variously as Ashkar, and Ashar.

Najib
02-02-2007, 11:06
Yussuf,

Do you have the recordings listed above, if yes, please share them as I've never heard of the guy. I am from Tripoli-Lebanon and the family Ash'ar is there but who knows.

YOUSEFELMUSSRI
02-02-2007, 13:50
Najib,
I do not have the recordings which I mentioned.
I am looking for them for myself and for a friend.
Yousef

Najib
02-02-2007, 14:07
Hopefully someone might have them, and thank you for introducing to the artists.

chattyman
03-02-2007, 06:03
Yousef;

If you are interested in all artists, do you have the CD that was issued about 10 years ago called "The Music Of Arab Americans"?

It contained songs by the likes of AMER KHADDAJ, SANA, NAIM KARAKAND, HANAN, KAHRAMAN, DANNY THOMAS, ANTON ABDEL AHAD, RUSSEL BUNAI, & JALIL AZOUZ.

I myself have been looking for songs by MUSTAFA KREYDIYE who recorded in Lebanon, and then emigrated to the USA and recorded songs on the Alkawakeb & Alamphon labels.

[Ali]

chattyman
04-02-2007, 21:08
Here's a great collection of Arabic songs, originally released on 78rpm records, which were recorded by the Arab American singers of the 1950's and earlier. Not many of us today were around back when these songs were originally released, but it is an amazing collection made by the earliest Arab immigrants in America.

1 Fatima - Alexander Maloof& the Maloof Oriental Orchestra 02:39
2 Il-Bulbul Nagha - Constantine Souse 06:40
3 Hawwil Ya Ghannam - Amer Khadaj, Jalil Azzouz 06:04
4 Lamma Ya Albi - Sana Khadaj, Jalil Azzouz 06:13
5 Raks 'Arabi - Na'im Karakand 03:08
6 Wakef 'Ala Shat Bahar - Hanan, Yacoub Ghannim, Hakki Obadia, Na'im Karakand 07:14
7 La'uli Bayt - Anton "Tony" Abdel Ahad, Philip Solomon, Ronny Kirby
8 Arabic Folk Songs - Danny Thomas, Toufiq Barham 07:39
9 Flute Imitation - Na'im Karakand 04:00
10 Li'b Al Khayl - Russell Bunai, Joe Bedway, Muhammad al-Akkad 05:24
11 Only You - Kahraman 03:07
12Taqasim 'Ala al-'Ud - Jalil Azouz 06:25
13 Hall Tadree - Russell Bunai, Joe Bedway, Muhammad al-Akkad 06:09
14 Al-Jazayir - Philip Solomon, Tony Abdel Ahad

"This collection represents a vibrant, dynamic but little-known aspect of American music. Predating the era of the album, cassette, and CD. The 14 performances collected here, originally recorded on 78 r.p.m. records by Arab american musicians are but a sample of the music that sustained people of Arab heritage in America during roughly the first half of the twentieth century. Independent Arab-American labels such as Alamphon, Abdel Ahad, Star of the East, and Cleopatra were among those that recorded for the people of Arab heritage who had settled in America. That so many independent companies flourished (the original 78 r.p.m. recordings here date from 1916 to the early 1950's) reflects the enthusiasm of the Arab-American community for this music."

أبو علاء
05-02-2007, 13:27
We have a few problems here. First, links to external upload sites are not permitted. Any file referred to in a thread has to be uploaded in that thread. Second, I'm not sure at all that the titles listed above are relevant to this forum. The fact that the performers are Arab, alone, is far from being sufficient to justify such a post. This forum deals exclusively with classical Arab and oriental music. Such concept and its limits are clearly defined in the forum texts (see the sticky PLEASE READ FIRST in the first page of each section!). Anything that falls outside the forum scoepe as defined therein has no place here.