PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : At the cafe aman

tasos
13-06-2007, 21:04
Two songs from the commercial CD "At the cafe aman".
Niki Tramba, Ross Daly, Socrates Sinopoulos, Giorgios Marinakis, Angela Stathopoulou plus Ruth & Simon Hill playing. This music is the root of rebetic songs which was been played at the "Cafe Aman", caffeehouses at urban centers were people amused themselves with lively music.

Najib
14-06-2007, 16:34
It's one of my favourite albums.

A question: Was the cafe aman a Smyrnaic thing or was it all over Greece as well?

John Smoth
16-06-2007, 07:27
Do you have more. please put more beautiful songs here, this is great.

tasos
17-06-2007, 09:46
As far as I know cafe aman arrived to Greece after 1922, the year of the population exchange between christians and muslims.
We can't share commercial music here except some pieces from each CD.

outistas
18-06-2008, 17:27
Hi!

What a great forum!

I just wanted to add something to this topic. I've recently finished reading a short biography on Dimitris Semsis (aka Salonikios) and it is apparent from this book that the Cafe Aman style of music was popular wherever Greeks lived (even North Africa and the Middle East) from at least the 1870's, long before the catastrophe of 1922.

Often, this repertoire would be played at the end of the night, while the earlier repertoire would consist of more Western style music which was popular at the time (waltzes, etc) or "lighter" Greek tunes.

I highly recommend trying to get your hands on a copy of this book - it was written by Lisbet Torp, and is titled: Salonikios "the best violin in the Balkans" and is from Museum Tusculanum Press - University of Copenhagen.

Semsis had an amazing life, traveling and playing all over the Balkans, the Middle East and North Africa from a very young age, and was the most respected musician in Greece while he was alive. Famous musicians like Tsitsanis, and others who weren't schooled in music at the level Semsis was, would come to his house and play new songs for him to transcribe. Most Rebetika songs we know of (and many we don't) were first transcribed him Semsis.

Take care,

m