PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Farid El Atrache: Mosh Kefaya in a live concert

luay
26-10-2005, 06:28
Farid El Atrache, to me, is one of the great singers, composers, and oud players. His place is among the true giants, but he didn't receive the recognition he deserved (although he's very famous). To me, his voice is one of the most emotional and expressive among all male singers. Listen to this song and you'll know what I mean.

Luay

mahendra
01-04-2006, 20:15
I could not agree more with you Luay. I am always amazed to see how people mention the works of the "greats" in Arabic music, Farid's name seems to fall between the cracks. It is also interesting that with the exception of Awel Hamsa or El Rabii, he is greatly ignored. What happened to "Sa'lny El Lail," "Youma Mawlidy," or "Hekayet Gharamy?" They are incredible works that did not seem to register with people.

If anyone knows the answer, please let us know!

luay
01-04-2006, 20:55
So much has been said and written about this. I can summarize it in two reasons:
1. taste: some people don't like Farid's style, voice, etc. It's as simple as that, and of
course, different people have different tastes. Abu A'laa for example has a great
taste for good music, but he's not a "fan" of Farid.

2. nationality/religion reasons: I raised this issue before, and some of our Egyptian friends went on the offense and said that Egypt was accepting of artists from all nationalities. I respectfully disagree with that: Farid, Souad Mhammad, etc., were not very welcome there. The media's favorite guy, Wahab, was behind much of this, in mu opinion.

Luay

شادي الالحان
01-04-2006, 21:17
شكرا يا لؤي

fynyx
01-04-2006, 23:30
Dear Luay,
I'm one the fans 'even if Abu Alaa is not:) ' of this great man as a singer, composer & oud player, I agree with u he is among the giants & for sure he performed a big, distinguished progress in the arabian music. Also his voice is so emotional like u said & for me I'd like him more than Abdulwahab

mahendra
02-04-2006, 04:40
Thank you everybody for the response. Luay, I am with you on your first point, but I do know that much to comment on the second. I have always heard it from friends and relatives who, not so much dislike but are not fans as you described, say that he is always "weeping" or overly melodramatic [Ya Gooh wa Ya Nooh]. In my opinion, that is the best part of his performance because you can tell he is emotional about his song.

I just hope more people (now) at least attempt to listen to him and give him a second chance. I remember the first time when I heard Abdel Mutalib, I was completely turned off. I did not care for the songs, the voice or anything else in the performance. Let me tell you, a few more times over and I changed my mind! I think people's tastes can change.

Mahendra

theoudman
02-04-2006, 15:57
In my opinion, if you want to understand how great Farid was as an oud player and singer, you must listen to his older recordings (from the 1930s)