PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Forms of Classical Arabic Music???

Bassio
21-06-2007, 15:12
I am new here, and I want to ask if there is a section that explains the different forms of classical arabic music?

What is:
DAWR
TAQTOOQA
MONOLOGUE
DIALOGUE
BASHREF
.. etc.

Another question: I noticed that you guys did not upload many works of AbdelWahab!! Does this mean that you are ignoring AbdelWahab's output that is considered 'westernized'???
Take for example Saherto or Gafnoho .. these songs are Arabic classical music .. but only with a western rhythm.

So are these songs welcome here? OR only strict arabic classical music? Please can someone redefine 'Arabic Classical Music'

Regards,

Najib
21-06-2007, 15:30
First welcome to the forum.

Second well spotted, yes this forum is VERY strictly devoted to Classical Arabic Music.

We have our own definition of what is Classical Arabic Music. You will only understand where we are coming from as you browse more and more through the material of the forum.

Secondly we don't upload commercially available songs here unless it is a sampler to promote a new disk or something that we need to discuss in an academic manner.

Sahirto and Gafnouhou, regardless of whether they are Arabic Classical or not, are widely available commercially.

Hope this clarifies things.

أبو علاء
21-06-2007, 20:31
... and, this said, it shouldn't be so difficult to find out what we think of 'abdi-l-wahab in general and of such kind in particular if our dear new member takes the time to read our basic texts, the faq and as you put it, Najib, browse through the various thread and read the content thereof and not just download files.

Bassio
22-06-2007, 04:20
Sorry I am a complete beginner in this forum. I read the rules.

Thanks aboalaa.

You did not answer the question about the different forms.

Anyway: Is this forum only interested in collecting rare recordings?? If this is the only interest (like some other forums I visited) then it is sad indeed.

I hope it is not like that. :)

I would like to discuss the music itself (and me myself as someone who knows only the basics of western not arabic music) .. what do you like in it? Your tastes? Let us set comparisons, discussions, analyze the recordings, compare different approaches, setup debates .. etc.

Let us make this more active than just an upload area.

Thoughts?

Najib
22-06-2007, 12:35
If you think this forum is an upload area than you are definitely in the wrong forum!

Many of the questions you are asking are already answered but you need to digest what's here to answer them.

Like I said before browse, read, and discover. We won't discuss this any further.

أبو علاء
22-06-2007, 13:06
You did not answer the question about the different forms.

Anyway: Is this forum only interested in collecting rare recordings?? If this is the only interest (like some other forums I visited) then it is sad indeed.

I hope it is not like that. :)

I would like to discuss the music itself (and me myself as someone who knows only the basics of western not arabic music) .. what do you like in it? Your tastes? Let us set comparisons, discussions, analyze the recordings, compare different approaches, setup debates .. etc.

Let us make this more active than just an upload area.

Thoughts?

Bassio, I'm a bit puzzled. I thought you understood what this forum is about and, most of all, that you have to read the texts and the various thread to know more about all this. Your initial questions above show the contrary. We've never said this is an "upload area" nor have we stated we're interested in "rare" recordings. We don't even know what this term covers exactly! Would you have read some of our threads in the Egyptian nahdha section, you would have seen plenty of the kind of things you're calling for - is comparisons, analyses, discussions, debate... except that this is not and cannot be done out of any context. I mean we can't go ahead with such general discussion here in this very thread. We have neither the time for it nor do we see the usefulness in doing so. The same goes for the explanations you're requesting concerning the various classical patterns.. But, once more, why don't you really take the time to read at least part of the material that is around first?

Bassio
22-06-2007, 15:30
If you think this forum is an upload area than you are definitely in the wrong forum!

This is great news for me. Thank you very much. You can't blame a new guy for asking.

Browsing through some forum topics I just found uploads on topic titles. So I was certainly misled, sorry.

Add that to the fact that in some other forums, when I open a new thread they just delete it. I just wanted to make sure how things are going on around here.

We've never said this is an "upload area" nor have we stated we're interested in "rare" recordings. We don't even know what this term covers exactly!

Sorry for the miswording .. I meant to say 'classical' 'non-commercial' recordings as you pointed out in the rules.

I mean we can't go ahead with such general discussion here in this very thread.

I certainly did not intend that. :D
I have been to forums before and I know what are 'threads' for .. don't worry. :)

But, once more, why don't you really take the time to read at least part of the material that is around first?

Thanks. I will sure follow your advice.

Although it makes me kind of sad to miss these enlightening discussions (at least for a newbie like me)

except that this is not and cannot be done out of any context

Point taken.

Regards,