PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : A question to Fred: Salih 'abdu-l-hay

Jamil
01-12-2007, 05:29
Dear Fred,

I am a little hesitant to post this request after reading many comments of various apotheoses of Arabic Music like yourself.

Is there a way for me to get all available CD's for Saleh Abdel Hay from anywhere you deem trustworthy in terms of the quality. I have become an addict to this "Mutrib" although you consider him second class. He makes my heart leap in chest and gets me closer to the purity of life and the transcendant divinity of god.
Please help me.

Jamil- Chicago

أبو علاء
01-12-2007, 10:25
I will answer this question with Fred's permission as I think , in my own quality of Salih 'abdi-l-hay addict, my knowledge in this regard is probably equal to his. As a matter of fact, unfortunately, there's very little to know simply because the availability of such CDs is close to null. All you can find is a few tape cassettes published under various labels with the same recurrent titles and sometimes the same defaults (the most "significant" collection and relatively orderly one consists roughly of a dozen of titles commercialized several years ago by an Egyptian company called Randa Phone). As for CDs, they are even in lower number (and "editorial" quality). All this stuff and some more (including radio recordings and a few 78 rpm records provided by Fred) is available in this forum. I assume you have already checked the index. If you find a less frustrating reply, please, let us know!

fredlag@noos.fr
01-12-2007, 10:47
@ Jamil :
important correction : I do NOT consider Saleh ‘Abd al-Hayy a second grade singer, I consider, if you allow this comparison with Arab poets as seen by medieval anthologists, that he comes on the second "tabaqa", the "tabaqat al-fu7ul" being Manyalawi, Hilmi, Higazi, Abu al-Ila.
But SAH is one of the most wonderful singers of the Egyptian repertoire, an incredibly moving voice and the admirable quixotic defender of art music, when everybody except him was turning to the mainstream commercial repertoire.

other correction :
- there are no CDs exclusively devoted to SAH's 78rpm era recordings, but there are 3 tracks by him the "cafes chantants du Caire vol 1" CD, now unavailable, but those are here on the forum (khafif khafif, yekun fe 3elmek, abuha radi)
- there are 2 CDs that I know of the 1950s recordings, issued by Sawt al-Qahira / SIDI (jeddah) in the late 1990s, which were available in Paris, and are probably available in Cairo, and maybe still at Rashid Music in Brooklyn since you're in the US

SIDI 574
mawwal ya hadiya l-3is / ughniyat habibi huwwa l-'amir en-nahi
mawwal dumu3 habibi entahet / dor 3eshna we-shofna
mawwal fik nas ya leil

SIDI 575
mawwal qalu l-gamal alwan
dor ahl el-gamal

both CDs have excellent sound quality. I suppose they're also here on the forum, or maybe the same titles are here...

أبو علاء
01-12-2007, 11:12
SIDI 574
mawwal ya hadiya l-3is / ughniyat habibi huwwa l-'amir en-nahi
mawwal dumu3 habibi entahet / dor 3eshna we-shofna
mawwal fik nas ya leil

SIDI 575
mawwal qalu l-gamal alwan
dor ahl el-gamal

Fred gave you the CD contents as shown on their covers and this is an eloquent illustration of the poor editorial quality I was talking about. You should read:
mawwal dumu3 'uyuni entahet
taqtuqah qalu l-gamal alwan
taqtuqah ahl el-gamal
The last two titles could be liberally" dubbed as "'ughniya" like habibi huwwa, but there isn't such a thing as a mawwal or a dawr here

fredlag@noos.fr
01-12-2007, 11:30
oops. should have listened before just copying :-)