Bassio
08-12-2007, 23:32

Edited: posted the arabic version below, also something related to my last post

Bassio
09-12-2007, 16:47
حتى لا يفوت أحد هذا السؤال الموجه الى خبراء اسطوانات ال78 لفة

ففى منتدى جامعى هذه الاسطوانات
يزعم أحدهم وهو ستيف أن المنيلاوى أحسن عندما يكون على 72لفة

هل هذا لأن المنيلاوى سجل على 72 لفة أم هل تعتقدون أنه يبوح برأيه الخاص عند الاستماع الى اسطواناته؟

كما أنه يذكر أنطون الشوا

العجيب أن خواجة مثله (على ما أظن) معجب بالمنيلاوى فكنت أظن أن فريد هو الخواجة الوحيد المغرم بهذه الموسيقى
مع أن ما يفعله لا يضعه فى عداد الخواجات أليس كذلك! :)

To abu-alaa: don't you think abu-alaa that we may need some of these collector-maniacs as a welcome addition to the forum ;)

fredlag@noos.fr
09-12-2007, 16:50
No, he is just giving advice, Gramophone records are famous for being very "flexible" with the usual speed of 78rpm, and it is often better to play them at less than 78 to get a natural voice.

Bassio
09-12-2007, 17:01
هذه معلومة جديدة تشكر عليها

أبو علاء
09-12-2007, 17:14
To abu-alaa: don't you think abu-alaa that we may need some of these collector-maniacs as a welcome addition to the forum ;)

So what do you propose? Shall we unfold the red carpet and beg them to come? More seriously, anybody who likes this place and think it might be of interest of them is most welcome. Whoever has something to contribute and is willing to do so is even more welcome. This said, the standard collector wouldn't feel at ease here. Subject to a demonstration to the contrary, the typical character is only keen to increase the amount of record in his/her collection with the constant hope to be the only one to have it. In the most optimistic scenario, a collector would be ready to exchange "rare" and "precious" pieces against comparable ones that he does't have... If this portrait is correct, I can hardly see how such persons could be attracted to this place.

Bassio
09-12-2007, 17:34
In the most optimistic scenario, a collector would be ready to exchange "rare" and "precious" pieces against comparable ones that he does't have... If this portrait is correct, I can hardly see how such persons could be attracted to this place.

Oops of course you make a very good point .. my mind only thought of any rare pieces that they may contribute here :D

I could not have imagined that these are the 'ethics' of collectors :(

Of course one cannot expect them to be جوادون بمالهم
like the rest of you guys. you're right.

fredlag@noos.fr
10-12-2007, 12:14
A little explanation about this "flexible speed" phenomenon : Gramophone often wants, especially in 30cm (12inch) records to pack in a maximum of vocal material. So, by recording at, say, 72rpm, you can "win" almost another minute by side. Instead of the standard 4mn/ 30cm side, you get almost 4'40-50 minutes/side. Of course, the quality is slightly inferior but this is how to get titles that last 9:30mn instead of 7mn. This is the case in many Manyalawi recordings (Manyalawis are always 30cm, unlike Hilmi who has 30cms and 27cms and 25cms)

Hattouma
10-12-2007, 13:01
like the rest of you guys. you're right.

Unfortunly most collectors -and sometimes for obvious reasons - would not just post their stuff in the internet ...but you can try to exchange with them :) it might be usefull to us after all if you get a record we don't have .

and be sure there are some collectors that are members in this and other forums and never post anything ..

Bassio
11-12-2007, 16:46
Sure Hattouma I will take your advice, but I will be even more cautious than you ;)

As abu-alaa pointed out:

I will update you.