PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Naming notes (in Arabic)

Bassio
25-12-2007, 14:02
I would like to ask about this since ovide opened it for me in the fel bo3d yama thread

Naming the notes:
1st degree
2nd degree
3rd degree
4th degree
5th degree
6th degree
7th degree

Thanks

3amr
25-12-2007, 15:51
I'm going to make your life alot easier.
This is a table giving you all the names you might need. I wanted to send as a private message, but I guess others might also find it useful. (I don't know how appropriate it is to post an outside link in this section, please remove if not appropriate).

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/arabnotes.html

Please note that these refer specifically to the oud in its normal tuning. While finger positions for each mentioned note do not change (nawa is always the middle string of the main five strings), the bass string can be tuned usually to either Qarar Jahargah or Yegah, not to mention the extra bass string which is usually Qarar Rast or Qarar Dugah, and so on. Aside from this, please realize that the whole oud or any instrument maybe tuned up or down as the player pleases.

Moral is: these notes indicate relative positions within the pitch that the singer is singing in, they are not meant to indicate a specific pitch in itself (unlike A=440Hz or stuff like that).

More explanation: If I tell you Maqam Hijaz on Dugah. This does not imply a specific pitch, rather a relative placement in playing it, for the oud, this means the second main string, with what that implies in terms of intervals and finger positions (bear in mind, this is harmonic tuning). This means that the tonic is a free string.

I don't know if I'm making sense here.

أبو علاء
25-12-2007, 17:37
(I don't know how appropriate it is to post an outside link in this section, please remove if not appropriate).

There's no harm at all in this, since what you're referring us to is an useful information posted somewhere else, not a file.

nawa is always the middle string of the main
five strings

I'm a puzzled here as a totally failed 'ud learner. I've all the way been convinced that the standard tuning for a basic 5 string 'ud is Sol-La-Ré-Sol-Do. According to this scheme, the middle string should be dugah/ré, shouldn't it? Or is it that there has been a change in modern practice for playing 'ud and teaching it or maybe the scheme I described is peculiar to 'ud players in Tunisia/North Africa? This said, my own instrument being a six-string one, I've opted for a personal scheme that is a partial adapatation of the above described "standard" one, which consists in tuning the upper (qarar) string to gahargah.

3amr
25-12-2007, 18:21
no, you're right, the main strings should be four, in which case, nawa is the third.

My oud confused me because it has a mahuran extra on top.

Bassio
26-12-2007, 13:44
And around here we use the Turkish?

3amr
26-12-2007, 14:22
no, who said anything about turks here.

Around here we use the tuning described by abu ala.

meaning: qarar jahargah OR yegah, hussayni ashiran, dugah, nawa, kerdan, and sometimes an added mahuran on top, or an added qarar rast OR qarar dugah.

Bassio
28-12-2007, 21:17
meaning?

1st degree (qarar gaharkah)

2nd degree (hussayni ashiran)

3rd degree (dugah)

4th degree (nawa)

5th degree (kerdan)

But they say that the G is the nawa 3amr !?