PDA

: Maqamic Questions Revisited

AmrB
28-05-2009, 09:25
Once more, I have to ask some awkward maqamic question, taking recourse to the generosity of the learned of the forum

1- What would a maqam that consists of (Gins Gaharkah on Gaharkah and Gins Higaz on Kirdan)? Is it also Maqam Gaharkah or a transposition of Maqam Shawq Afza?

2- What is the difference (speaking of Sayr) between maqam Rast and maqam Kirdan? Is there a possibility of developing a secondary Gins Gaharkah in both or either of them or that would be modulation to maqam Gaharkah?

Najib
02-06-2009, 12:41
My honest answer to number one is that it is simply the inverse of Zanjaran. Some people refer to it as Shawk Efza and give an example of Lessah Faker by Umm Kulthum but Ive listened to a lot of Turkish Shawk Efza and nothing resembles Gharkah topped by Hicaz.

As of Kurdan it is a variation (talween colouring) on makam rast. You make Saba on Ussayran basically when you go to the Kurdan note on top. Please refer to Frederics thesis on this forum to get the Egyptian flavour. This will be different than makam Gurdaniyeh in the Ottoman nomenclature

03-06-2009, 21:15
As of Kurdan it is a variation (talween colouring) on makam rast. You make Saba on Ussayran basically when you go to the Kurdan note on top. Please refer to Frederics thesis on this forum to get the Egyptian flavour.
Just to remind you that kirdan may designate two different maqams according to the context where the term is used. What Fredric refers to as kirdan following some Egyptian sources of the end of 19th-beginning of 20th with the description you gave above is the derivative/complex maqam known thereafter as dalanshin or dilinshin - bustan gamalak and 'ishna-w-shufna. But in some other sources including older ones like Shihab's Safinah, roughly, kirdan is to rast what muhayyar is to bayati and a good example for it is fu'adi 'amruh 'agib. Another example is the dawr Bahri has just posted today.

AmrB
04-06-2009, 15:40
Thank you Najib for your answer.

My second question originated as I was listening to Salih Abdel-Hayy's rendition of Dur 'Ishna we Shufna, the Wasla - as you may recall - starts with Takasim Rast, then Samai Rast Tatyos, them a Mawwal where Salih seems to stress GaharKah for no obvious reason. I know that the Dur is marked as Rast Kirdan, and I could easily distinguish the Saba flavor as you have pointed out (and as it has been said in this forum before, and in several references) so I thought maybe Kirdan has some relationship to Gins Gaharkah as well.

And now I have to wonder, was that merely modulation to Maqam Gaharkah?