PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Song in sikah baladi?

jenni
20-11-2011, 02:46
Can someone give some good pieces that are primarily in maqam sikah baladi? I'm having trouble getting my ears used to this maqam...

أبو علاء
20-11-2011, 14:07
I can't think of a title where the base (initial) maqam is sikah baladi off the cough. But, the . third section of shamsi-l-'asil ('ana-w-habibi ya nil...) starts in sikah baladi. The same applies to the second section of 'aruh limin (yitul bu'dak), the second section of yalli kan yishgik 'anini (fidhilt-a'ish fi qulubin-n-as), the last section hayati 'inta (ya habibi 'ana bahwak) ...etc.

jenni
20-11-2011, 20:45
I can't think of a title where the base (initial) maqam is sikah baladi off the cough. But, the . third section of shamsi-l-'asil ('ana-w-habibi ya nil...) starts in sikah baladi. The same applies to the second section of 'aruh limin (yitul bu'dak), the second section of yalli kan yishgik 'anini (fidhilt-a'ish fi qulubin-n-as), the last section hayati 'inta (ya habibi 'ana bahwak) ...etc.

Thank you! Actually this question arose because I just finished learning yalli kan.... :) and I have not been able to sing the sikah baladi section to my satisfaction :/

I will look at the other suggestions..

BTW I just read on mike oud forums that sikah baladi is usually only used as a modulation.

الفارابي
21-11-2011, 12:41
Here are 3 more :

Alhabeeb Almajhool : section "Ya Habeebi Ana Wayyak"
Alkarnak : section "Ayna Ya Atlal"
Elhobb Kedah : section "Ya se3do Elly 3eref"

I'm just thinking as an audience, since I'm not a player, nor a singer: Sikah Balady is one of a kind. There's no other Arabic Maqam with 3 diferent quarters. It's not a "usual" Maqam like others. It's quarters are not fixed quarters. They vary from Rast's or Bayat's' or even from Sikah's Family. I always hear it a bit higher to some extent.
Agreeing with Abu Alaa, I may also dare & compare it with spices in food :) ! You'd love them in the right proportion, but you can't "eat" it all unaccompanied. .
One may not have a rationalistic explination why does Sikah Balady, once it's beeing sung or played, cause roaring amongst the audience.
I think it's a maqam for advanced studies, if I may say so. Therefore I 'd leave it aside for the time being, until your ear becomes familiar with other basic Maqams.
:) Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

أبو علاء
21-11-2011, 18:57
Thanks, Farabi, for correcting my error. I wrote hayati 'inta and it was indeed al-habibu-l-maghul. Probably a side effect of my not being much fond of 'abdi-l-wahab. I also thought of the al-karnak instance, but I dropped it simply because I didn't remember the lyrics (my intention was to go beyond the first three words of the section).

Here are 3 more :
Alhabeeb Almajhool : section "Ya Habeebi Ana Wayyak"
Alkarnak : section "Ayna Ya Atlal"
Elhobb Kedah : section "Ya se3do Elly 3eref"

jenni
22-11-2011, 23:57
I'm just thinking as an audience, since I'm not a player, nor a singer: Sikah Balady is one of a kind. There's no other Arabic Maqam with 3 diferent quarters. It's not a "usual" Maqam like others. It's quarters are not fixed quarters. They vary from Rast's or Bayat's' or even from Sikah's Family. I always hear it a bit higher to some extent.
Agreeing with Abu Alaa, I may also dare & compare it with spices in food :) ! You'd love them in the right proportion, but you can't "eat" it all unaccompanied. .
One may not have a rationalistic explination why does Sikah Balady, once it's beeing sung or played, cause roaring amongst the audience.
I think it's a maqam for advanced studies, if I may say so. Therefore I 'd leave it aside for the time being, until your ear becomes familiar with other basic Maqams.
:) Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Thank you, alfarabi! I like that comparison of the food :)

Yes, it is indeed an amazing maqam, and I love listening to live performances in which there is a modulation to sikah baladi, and the audience ALWAYS goes crazy! There was a violinist I heard perform over the summer, and he did a taqsim where he modulated to this maqam... although at the time i wasn't familiar with it, I remembered that one moment until now, and only just realized what it was :)

In regards to it being advanced, well I don't dispute that but don't worry about me ;)

Jenni

jenni
28-11-2011, 03:01
SO, I would just like to make sure I am getting this right:

In "Yalli kan yishgeek anini," for the sikah baladi part "fiDelt 3aish bi' lub...." Right before that, she is singing in rast from re (so there is an f half#)... then this section begins on that f half # and the new maqam is sikah baladi on re, so it is re-mi half flat-fa half#-sol half flat in the music. I want to make sure my ears aren't decieving me : When she actually starts singing, the sol is natural, correct? then when she starts the "improvisatory" section ("Yalli boukaya...") it's the same - the sol stays natural when she's singing but is half-flat for the instruments.

Also, is it correct that, (as alfarabi pointed out the quarter tones aren't fixed), the re half-flat and fa half# are slightly further apart than one whole tone (which is technically what it would be).

PLEASE and thank you :)

أبو علاء
28-11-2011, 06:44
Unfortunately, I can't help with the scale. But, as far as I'm aware, sikah baladi is either on do or on fa, not on re, and yalli bukaya is in rast. The sikah baladi ends up at wayyah. But, I'll leave it to people with better knowledge of the scale to answer your question.

jenni
28-11-2011, 06:51
Unfortunately, I can't help with the scale. But, as far as I'm aware, sikah baladi is either on do or on fa, not on re, and yalli bukaya is in rast. The sikah baladi ends up at wayyah. But, I'll leave it to people with better knowledge of the scale to answer your question.

Well, I have the sheet music and it is definitely starting from re... the problem is, it only includes the instrumental bits, not the actual singing. I checked on maqamworld and the example they give for sikah baladi has two tetrachords; one starting on sol and one on re.

Would it be too redundant if I ask this same question in the post where the song was posted?

أبو علاء
28-11-2011, 08:07
Well, I have the sheet music and it is definitely starting from re... the problem is, it only includes the instrumental bits, not the actual singing. I checked on maqamworld and the example they give for sikah baladi has two tetrachords; one starting on sol and one on re.

Would it be too redundant if I ask this same question in the post where the song was posted?
As I already told you, I'm not at all a reference in scale matter and this is an understatement. What I thought to know is that when "standard" sikah is on si, sikah baladi would be on do and wehn the former is on mi, the latter would be on fa... I also suppose that any mode could theoretically be started from any tone by the token of transposition. But, I'll leave it to more learned people to clarify this and I don't think you need to ask the question elsewhere, this thread having become visible enough to who of concern. But, if you still so wish, nothing prevents you from posting the question in a thread dealing with yalli kan.

jenni
28-11-2011, 09:21
As I already told you, I'm not at all a reference in scale matter and this is an understatement. What I thought to know is that when "standard" sikah is on si, sikah baladi would be on do and wehn the former is on mi, the latter would be on fa... I also suppose that any mode could theoretically be started from any tone by the token of transposition. But, I'll leave it to more learned people to clarify this and I don't think you need to ask the question elsewhere, this thread having become visible enough to who of concern. But, if you still so wish, nothing prevents you from posting the question in a thread dealing with yalli kan.

Okay, thanks anyway! I will wait a few days and if there's no answer and I get impatient I will do so :)

sonbaty
08-01-2012, 23:16
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?562-أبراهام-سلمان
here is another example...

in the rast taqsim and at 4:00, Ibraham turns from Jaharkah to Sika baladi

jenni
13-01-2012, 02:50
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?562-أبراهام-سلمان
here is another example...

in the rast taqsim and at 4:00, Ibraham turns from Jaharkah to Sika baladi

Thank you! I like this very much...

One problem I am having is at around 2:30; when i listen for Jaharkah i can hear it but had you not told me i would have probably never guessed that... it sounds out of tune to me, but as this is a professional musician I must assume that the pitches are supposed to be altered slightly? To be precise, it sounds like the fourth note is lowered. Can you explain this please?

Thank you,
Jenni

sonbaty
14-01-2012, 19:31
Thank you! I like this very much...

One problem I am having is at around 2:30; when i listen for Jaharkah i can hear it but had you not told me i would have probably never guessed that... it sounds out of tune to me, but as this is a professional musician I must assume that the pitches are supposed to be altered slightly? To be precise, it sounds like the fourth note is lowered. Can you explain this please?

Thank you,
Jenni

I'd like to help you but I know nothing about scale, all what I have is my ear:)
I don't think it's out of tune but as i told you, I can't be certain.

I hope other members help

jenni
14-01-2012, 21:10
I'd like to help you but I know nothing about scale, all what I have is my ear:)
I don't think it's out of tune but as i told you, I can't be certain.

I hope other members help

I think it is not out of tune and it is just my western ears trying to hear a "major scale" when it is simply completely different. Because it doesn't necessarily sound bad. I still must get used to tuning, and accept that the tones can vary in pitch depending on context.

Please if this is not an accurate prediction, someone let me know!!

Thanks,
Jenni

AlfLeila
22-01-2012, 21:36
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?4894-Sami-El-Shawa-Taqsim-Sigah-Baladi&p=31612#post31612