PDA

: Mohammad Karimi

AmbroseBierce
02-01-2006, 16:00
Since this is my first contribution to this forum, first of all I'd like to say that I'm happy to be here. On a first glance I've already seen so many interesting things here - though I can't read Arabic and therefore don't understand much of what is being written in this place.

Anyway, I want to present my favourite Iranian singer, Mohammad Karimi, accompanied on the ney by Mohammad Musavi.

This is a Daramad in Dastgah Nav, from the album "Iran - Les Maitres de la Musique Traditionelle Vol.2", recorded in Teheran 1980 and published on CD (it was on LP before) by Ocora in 1991.

Karimi, who passed away in 1984. was a student of 'Abdollh Davmi, but studied with masters of instrumental music also, particularly with Hjji Aq Mohammad Irni Mojarrad.

Karimi has published very little - except this album I have found only one 5-CD-set covering the complete radif in the tradition of 'Abdollh Davmi, vocal only with spoken explanations to each section. That was published as "Vocal Radif of Persian Classical Music - Mahmud Karimi, Vocal" by Mahoor Institute of Culture and Art in Teheran. In fact, the booklet to the Ocora CD mentions that besides that recording there are only private cassettes for his students - which must be the basis for the Mahoor CD set. But being a teacher at the National Conservatory of Teheran Karimi exerted a major influence on a large number of students and many of today's masters of Persian vocal music count him among their teachers.

02-01-2006, 18:03
Welcome in the forum and thank you for this post. I have the full radif collection by Mohaed Reza Shaharian, another great contemporary singer, (alson on 5 CDs) and I 'll post them in the near future. The problem is that I would like to post the booklets along with the cd tracks and I don't have a working scanner for the time being.

AmbroseBierce
02-01-2006, 21:56
Welcome in the forum and thank you for this post. I have the full radif collection by Mohaed Reza Shaharian, another great contemporary singer, (alson on 5 CDs) and I 'll post them in the near future. The problem is that I would like to post the booklets along with the cd tracks and I don't have a working scanner for the time being.

I'm looking forward to that music - I guess it is also one of the radif-sets by Mahoor, right? Still, why don't you start with the music and add the booklet later, when you have a scanner at hand?

To me among the Persian vocalists alive, Mohammed Reza Shajarian is the greatest. I saw his concerts several times, and particularly one will always stay in my mind - with Kayman Kalhor, Hussein Alizadeh and Shajarian's son. Wonderful concert.

02-01-2006, 22:21
I will. I did attend one of his concerts in New York a couple of years ago. All of them were there except for Husayn Aizadeh who didn't make it simply because he wouldn't get a visa! By the way, sorry that most of the posts are only in Arabic. I for one used to write a brief summary of my posts in English then I gave it up as there were no non-Arabic speakers among our members. We'll try and do something about it. Welcome again!