PDA

: Some samples of old Rembetiko

AmbroseBierce
05-01-2006, 00:29
Here are some of my favourite songs from different sampler editions of old Greek music.

The first, Yorghos Papasidheris' "Gazeli Mustaar" ("Burned Again"), is from a CD called "Greek-Oriental Rebetica. Songs & Dances in the Asia Minor Style, 1911-1937", published in 1991 by Arhoolie Productions. The accompanists are Lambros Savaidhis, kanonaki, and Dhimitrios Semsis, violin. The piece was recorded in Athens, ca. 1935. The lyrics are:

"I always try to flee the fire,
But get burned just the same:
To whom can I complain of it,
When I've my luck to blame?"

The second piece is a song of mourning by Antonis Diamantidis from a German album called "Fnf Griechen in der Hölle und andere Rembetika-Lieder" ("Five Greeks in Hell and other Rembetika-songs"), published in 1982 by Trikont. No information is given on the artist.

About the third piece I don't know anything at all - not even the name of the singer. All kind of info is appreciated.

The third is "Prepei Na Skeptetai Kaneis" by Rita Abadzi

05-01-2006, 10:43
Thank you for these pieces. Our friend Najib was the one who first introduced us to this music so close to ours.

AmbroseBierce
06-01-2006, 02:00
Right. Sometimes Greek and Turkish music (particularly the older Greek music) are so close to each other that a person like me, a musically fairly well educated but still lay person, can hardly say for sure where it comes from. The language is obviously very different though.

But given the close contact between the two peoples, the fact that so many Greek lived in Turkey, particularly in Istanbul und Thrakia, and their position in Turkish society, it seems quite natural to find close cultural affinities. And the name Yorgos Bacanos doesn't sound very Turkish, isn't it? Nor does Hrant Kenkulian or Issac Alghazi for that matter...

Najib
06-01-2006, 11:37
Absolutely,

Think of Istanbul as the globalisation of the old world. It acted like the new Rome for the population of the middle east.

By the way the unknown singer is either Rosa Eskenazy (another Jewish name born in Turkey and died in Athens) or Rita Abatzi because Lambros the Kanun player played with both of these singers, and he is mentioned in the middle of the track.

Ya sou Lambro me to Kanonaki sou

cheers lambro you and your Kanun

My little piece of musicology for today :-)

Hattouma
16-01-2006, 22:58
do you know greek (language) Najib ?

Najib
18-01-2006, 13:23
Its a bit funny this one Hatim.

Because of the Byzantine music in church, Ive learnt how to read and pronounce Greek, but I never understood what I was saying.

Years later (2002) I visited mount Athos in Greece, and I fell in love with the place, and I realised that if I was to visit again, and profit from the music and the spirituality, I really needed to understand and speak the language properly.

So Ive been learning since 2002 at a very slow pace (once every two weeks), but Ive made some progress, and now I can come up with few sentences, and understand someone speaking slowly (I havent reach the stage where I can understand the news, because they speak bloody fast ).

This is why I thought chasing up Rebetiko music is perfect. Because its archive, makamic, and Greek at the same time!

So in short I classify myself as a beginner, but its a fascinating language highly grammatical, and linked to both latin (French), and a bit to Arabic as well!!

Hakem
18-02-2006, 12:44
Najib Basha, thanks so much for those three great selections.

I think the third unknown one is by Rita Abadzi! Not only is that her voice could be NO ONE but Rita, at the end of the piece they say the usual, Yassu Ritamu

What do u think?

Najib
16-03-2006, 11:37
At the end of the unknown singer track the man says:

Na kharo to stomataki sou Rita mou

Which means cheers to your little mouth my Rita.

So it is Rita.

I hope that Hakem is satisfied now!!!

Najib
16-03-2006, 18:05
by the way these are Paul's great 3 selections not mine.

Hopefully when our greek friend finishes travelling we can twist her arm and force her to educate us more in this field.

AmbroseBierce
18-03-2006, 00:10
by the way these are Paul's great 3 selections not mine.

Hopefully when our greek friend finishes travelling we can twist her arm and force her to educate us more in this field.

Never mind - they are ours anyway.

And yes, it would be great to have a real expert on Greek music around. I'd love to learn more about it, particularly with regard to the connections between Greek, Turkic, Armenian music.