PDA

: Nuri Karademirli & Ensemble

AmbroseBierce
08-01-2006, 13:55
I'd like to introduce a Turkish ensemble from Berlin, and particularly their leader, the Oud (and Tambur and Saz and ...) player and singer Nuri Karademirli, who also is the founder director of the Berlin Trk Msikisi Konservatuari, the Berlin Conservatory of Turkish Music. In mid-December he had a concert in Berlin the recording of which fell into my hands. I had expected a solo recital and was almost confused when I saw so many microphones on the stage. Actually he performed with full ensemble, consisting of ney/saxophone, kanun, violin, guitar, second oud, two percussionists and chorus of four. Until then I even didn't know he is a singer also, and again he surpised me by mainly singing.

Anyway, I want to present two pieces, the openers of the first and the second set: Aheste cek Krekleri in Makam Ussak, composed by Mnir Nureddin Selöcuk, and Menekselendi sular in Makam Nihavent, composed by Sadeddin Kaynak. Both pieces are preceded by a short oud taksim.

As far as I know there are no published recordings of this ensemble, although the Conservatory choir (led by Nuri Karademirli) has released several CDs.

Najib
08-01-2006, 16:43
Excellent tracks

Are these CDs available to buy over the internet?

AmbroseBierce
08-01-2006, 19:12
Excellent tracks

Are these CDs available to buy over the internet?

I don't know, I have seen them for sale at their concerts only. I'll try to find out whether you can order them somewhere - most probably you can get them directly from the Conservatory: http://www.btmk.de/, info@btmk.de

AmbroseBierce
12-03-2006, 15:16
Here are two samples from yesterday's Berlin concert of Nuri Karademirli.

The first piece is the famous Kapris by Serif Muhiddin Targan (who was the principal teacher of Nuri Karademirli), though in an unexpected version, played by Nuri on Oud and his German student Hubertus Hildebrandt on electric guitar.

The second sample is with the full ensemble, with Serkan Kanarcali, kanun, Göksel Okay, violin, and Mehmet (I couldn't get his last name), percussion in addition to Nuri Karademirli and Hubertus Hildebrandt. It is Nuri's own composition, a Hicaz Saz Semaisi (I hope I got the title right).

I wonder what you think of it, particularly of the Kapris.

By the way, I have heard that Nuri Karademirli did record quite a number of CDs, both live and studio recordings, with ensemble as well as solo, privately published by the Conservatory for Turkish Music in Berlin and available through the same. Check the website mentioned above for the contact email address and enquire there. The CDs will be on the website after some time only.

Najib
13-03-2006, 15:14
I definitely prefer the Gultchin Yahya version!

AmbroseBierce
13-03-2006, 19:16
Yep, so do I. But the best version I have heard up till now is by Nuri Karademirli in the video somewhere on Zeryab forum. He is some years younger on that one than he is now and I think in recent years he has concentrated too much on teaching and administrating the conservatory and neglected his oud practice. We have been speculating that that might be the reason why he avoids solo recitals - even on Saturday, when he had promised oud solo, he came with an ensemble and never actually played solo except for some very brief taksims. Anyway, for the Berlin scene he is extremely important as a teacher.

Najib
13-03-2006, 19:23
and yes please try to chase him up for those Cinucen Recordings.