PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Kudsi Erguner - Rembetiko from Istanbul

AmbroseBierce
20-01-2006, 10:36
"Rembetiko from Istanbul" is one of my favourite albums of the Kudsi Erguner Ensemble. The CD was published by Imak Müzik in 2001. The musicians are:

Yusuf Bilgin, Vocals
Melihat Gülses, Vocals
Dogan Dikmen, Vocals
Kudsi Erguner, Ney
Baki Kemanci, Keman
Sükrü Kabaci, Klarinet
Hakan Güngör, Kanun
Mehmet Bitmez, Ud
Necip Gülses, Tanbur
Mirza Basar, Buzuki
Dogan Hosses, Def

The pieces I selected are No.3 and 8 on the CD, "Gemilerde Talim Var" and "Makber".

Najib
20-01-2006, 11:45
Please upload it all, it is an out of print album.

Melihat is unbelievable, I had the chance to have a private singing evening with her last year, and I videoed it.

She liked me as Najib is also her husband's name (the tanbur player on the CD!!!)

أبو علاء
20-01-2006, 13:48
Thanks Ambrose and I join my voice to Najib's request.
Najib, you rose a sudden impluse in me - that of getting married anew just for the sake of having Kudsi Erguner and co in my wedding celerations. :)

AmbroseBierce
21-01-2006, 02:32
Oh yeah, that would be reason enough to marry...

I will upload the remaining songs, but not before tomorrow. Tonight it's time for bed after coming from a very nice concert of Balkan music - a mixed Romanian-Serbian-Russian-Greek-Italian ensemble from Berlin called Romenca. But their music won't fit into this forum.

Anyway, Tomorrow night you'l see more rembetiko from Istanbul in this thread.

AmbroseBierce
21-01-2006, 21:21
Here is more of the Rembetiko album.

Kudsi Erguner writes in the sleeve notes:

"The word "Rembetico" means "Hooligan & Swashbuckler" or "Tough". The Greek people who, especially from the beginning of the 18th century, had to immigrate from Turkey to Greece because of the political and social reasons were excluded by the Greek society of those years just because they were more easterners. The longing of the cultural environment they had to snap from featured them as aliens in their new country despite the similarity of their language and race. Rembetico that was depicting the pains of the people who were fighting for their existence in the foreign lands, in the smoky atmosphere of the taverns with broken chairs and in the coffee houses full of waterpipe smoke and raki smells, lived as an inferior culture like Jazz, Flamenco, Arabesk and Fado until the beginning of the 20th century. People who immigrated to the big cities from Anatolia constituted an inferior culture having adaptation and orientation difficulties.

They were withdrawn feeling the longing of the place they came from. Just like the immigrators-from-Turkish culture called "Rembetico" was excluded by the Greek intellectuals who were trying to become Europeans breaking up their very bonds with the Ottoman society, this new formation called "Arabesk" later on, was also ecluded and has aroused hatred among the Turkish intellectuals for it was understood as a degeneration and invasion of the easterners upon the society trying to become westerner.

The LPs and concerts the Rembetico musicians realised who immigrated to America, let this music be put on the agenda of the world like the jazz music aroused attention not only in Greece but all around the world starting from the second half of the 20th century. ... (continued in next mail)

AmbroseBierce
21-01-2006, 21:32
... The musical artists like Titos Dimitriadis, Ogdantakis, Rosa Eskenazi, Ritha Abadzi, Virginia Mangidou, Dimitris Semsis, Yorghos Papasidheris, Andonis Dalgas, Haralambos Panayis ... became legendary by the first LPs of the 78ers epoch broadcasted by RCA Victor, Odeon Records, Constantinople Records, Olympus and Colombia Records. These LPs that generally impress musical friends or family meetings reflect the passion of the musicians and the attendee listeners during the recording.

As the musicians knowing the modern structure of the eastern music reduced after the first generation musicians Aegean based zeibetico, khassapiko, tsiftetelliler played using guitar, buzuki and accordeon become a new music turning into Greek folklore. (something must have got mixed up here in translating from Turkish to English) When the archives achieved are examined it is open that the source of rembetiko arises as Western Anatolian music, as Istanbul music.

The repertoire subject to this work as understood from its name "Rembetiko From Istanbul", originates from the Istanbul songs which are a piece of the daily life of the Istanbul folk and "Amane" namely gazels.

Kudsi Erguner

I gave the names of the musicians in a previous mail - no need to repeat here.

AmbroseBierce
21-01-2006, 21:46
These are the last songs.

Enjoy the album. I can also prepare scans of the cover if it is of interest.

Najib
24-01-2006, 19:32
Ambrose the whole CD is unbelievable it is out of this world.

ياجماعة ما تفوتو عليكم هالأسطوانه رائعه فعلا وهنالك قدك المياس فيها أيضا

AmbroseBierce
24-01-2006, 22:40
Right. To me this is the best I have heard of Kudsi Erguner. Though - I have written about that somewhere else - the concert in Berlin 2004 was fantastic also. It was a similar ensemble, except there were three male voices and no female (and no buzuki), and they were singing German laguage poems by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, from his "Der west-östliche Diwan" in front of the altar of a very elaborate church in Berlin. The setting was incredible, and then the very familiar poetry in Ottoman style music - just unbelievable. I was so overwhelmed that I forgot to try to get a recording, although one of my colleagues was closely involved in the concert. Later I talked to her, but she never managed to locate this evening's sound engineer. The program was specifically amde for the "Simdi Now" festival of turkish art and culture in Berlin, and I fear this concert has never been repeated anywhere else.