PDA

: Anatolian folk tunes

Hakem
01-03-2006, 18:11
This thread has a mirror Greek one in the Greek section, and is available at:
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1005

==========================
I am sure you have enjoyed Qaddukal Mayyas on the Kudsi Erguner album Rebetiko from Istanbul! Well, here is the complete song, in both Turkish and Greek. According to the album information, the composer of the music is unknown, which makes it part of the folk tradition of Anatolia, and therefore it has had Greek, Turkish, Arabic versions, and who knows who else in the region has it!

Album: Aman Doktor
Singer: Candan Eretin

Her voice is great, but the music arrangement is a bit modern for a traditional folk song. However, I am happy to see interest in folk music on a popular level.

Turkish and Greek Lyrics:

Ada Sahillerinde // ΜΑΤΙΑ ΜΟΥ, ΜΑΤΙΑ ΜΟΥ

Ah, ada sahillerinde bekliyorum
Her zaman yollarını gözlyorum
Seni senden gzelim istiyorum
Beni şad et Şadiye başım iin

Nerede o mis gibi leylaklar
Sararıp solmak zere yapraklar
Bana mesken olunca topraklar
Beni yad et gzelim başın iin

Ματια μου, ματια μου, ματια μου
Των οματιων μου ματια
Τα ματια μου δεν ειδανε σαν τα δικα σου ματια
(Matya mu, matya mu, matya mu
Ton omatyon mu matya
Ta matya mu den idane san ta dika su matya)

Σαν πας στα ξενα, παρε και μενα
Παρε και μενα για συντροφια
Μακρια κι αν θα σαι, να με θυμασαι,
Να με θυμασαι παντοτινα
(San pas sta ksena, pare ke mena
Pare ke mena ğia sindrofya
Makrya ki an tha se, ne ma thimase
Na me thimase pandotina)

Adalardan modalara geilir
Yar elinden zehir olsa iilir
Bu dnyada başa gelen ekilir
Beni şad et Şadiye başın iin

Najib
01-03-2006, 18:24
What a coincidence, I was listening to the same song as performed by Melihat Gulses today.

Hakem
01-03-2006, 18:47
Tayyeb ya uztaz Najib, post it for us!

yusufziya
01-03-2006, 21:42
this is one of my favourite song.. http://qsmile.com/qsimages/177.gif
but not from Candan Erçetin..

i guess you have not heard him..
Ahmet Kaya...
maybe you have..
pretty better he says i guess..
only in turkish version..
i converted the file to 56 kps..cos my upload is so slow http://qsmile.com/qsimages/251.gif
looks like arabesk music http://qsmile.com/qsimages/1.gif
wish you like it http://qsmile.com/qsimages/15.gif

Hakem
01-03-2006, 23:11
I agree with you! Thanks so much for posting it. Ahmet Kaya sounds very much like the Arabic, and in a traditional way. Candan's album is pop, and I don't like the music arrangement.

If you have any more of traditional Anatolian songs, do post them. Candan's CD is almost all half Turkish half Greek, I am really interested in this connection.

I wonder how the one Najib has sounds like.
Thanks again!

Najib
02-03-2006, 12:13
Here is the wonderful Melihat Gulses singing it in Turkish and Greek!!!

yusufziya
02-03-2006, 23:15
Here you can find more songs from Melihat Glseshttp://qsmile.com/qsimages/23.gif
wish you like them..

Album;Istanbuldan Atinaya Trkler
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2726/163342cj.jpg

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Sienna][B]Tracks;

01. Ada Sahillerinde Bekliyorum - Anonim
02. Aman Katerinam Oy - Panayotis Tundas
03. Ussak Aranagme - Anonim
04. Barava Yannakakis(Kurban) - Panayotis Tundas
05. Telgrafin Telleri - Anonim
06. Ussak Sirto - Necip Glses
07. Argiles (Yedikule) - Evangelos Papazoglu
08. Kanun Taksimi - Göksel Baktagir
09. Gemilerde Talim Var - Anonim
10. Klarnet Taksimi - Skr Kabaci
11. Makber(Gazel)
12. Darildin Mi Gulum Bana - Anonim
13. Entarisi Ala Benziyor - Anonim
14. Tha Metho Ke Tha Ta Spao -Yannis Dragapsis
15. Karabiberim - Papaiannu
16. Kemence Taksimi - Derya Turkkan
17. Mavili Bir Tas Attim Kamisa - Anonim

Hope you know how to download from rapidsharehttp://qsmile.com/qsimages/20.gif
Enjoy
http://qsmile.com/qsimages/11.gif
~yusufziya~

Hakem
03-03-2006, 00:01
Thanks very much for this! I never used that before, I will go try it.

By the way, so Ahmet Kaya is Kurdish! I sure there is a version for this song in Kurdish as well. In almost every CD of his he has a folk song. Thanks for introducing him to me.

Best,
Hakem.

AmbroseBierce
03-03-2006, 00:59
Thank you so much for putting the whole album on Rapidshare. When Najib first mentioned Melihat Glses I had searched for this album on the internet and found a lot of 30 sec clips - just enough to wet the appetite, not at all enough to satisfy the ear. By the way - Melihat Glses is the female voice on Kudsi Erguner's Rembetiko from Istanbul album. Probably you're aware of that anyway.

Najib
03-03-2006, 11:43
Yes Paul,

That's the album. I've just received it this week from Tulumba New York.

yusufziya
03-03-2006, 19:07
Thanks very much for this! I never used that before, I will go try it.

By the way, so Ahmet Kaya is Kurdish! I sure there is a version for this song in Kurdish as well. In almost every CD of his he has a folk song. Thanks for introducing him to me.

Best,
Hakem. yea..he is kurdish!
and supporter of the Pkk(recently Kongra-Gel) terrorist group in Turkey..http://qsmile.com/qsimages/284.gif
a group which killed about 30,000 innocent Turkish citizen..http://qsmile.com/qsimages/276.gif
i dun like his personality but his songs..http://qsmile.com/qsimages/23.gif

Hakem
09-03-2006, 20:08
Thanks for this political context.

and for putting the Melihat Gulces CD. But I was not able open the zipped file. Can you help?

AmbroseBierce
09-03-2006, 23:09
Unzipping the file should not be difficult: You need a Program like WinRar or WinAce Archiver - the later one at least is freeware and can be found on the net easily. With these you open the file and you will be asked for the password which in this case is "sehbir" (without ""). That should do the trick.

Hakem
10-03-2006, 17:38
Tesekkurler! It worked and I am profoundly enjoying it.
Hakem.

Hakem
25-04-2006, 17:29
To welcome my dear friend Albert to the forum, I add Anatolian folk songs, common in Turkish and Greek.

What destroys nationalist myths more than art that shows the continuation and interaction between cultures, rather than the myths of origins and fights over which come "first" ...etc.

I start with "Katibim", known in Greek as "Apo xeno topo", and Arabic as "Ya Banat Iskenderya."

Source CD:İstanbul Trkleri 2 (Turkish Folk Songs from Istanbul, CD 2). Produced by: İstanbul Bykşehir Belediyesi

Turkish Lyrics:

Uskdar'a gider iken aldı da bir yağmur
Katibimin setresi uzun eteği amur

Katip uykudann uyanmış gouml;zleri mahmur
Katip benim ben katibin el ne karışır
Katibime kolalı da gomlek ne gzel yaraşır

Uskdar'a gider iken bir mendil buldum
Mendilimin iine de lokum doldurdum

Katibimi arar iken yanımda buldum

Hakem
25-04-2006, 18:18
Another song, common in Turkish and Greek: the first is in Turkish, and the second is Greek by the Greek diva Xaris Alexiou.

Title: Bahcelerde Aslama Aslamayi Taslama
Album: İstanbul Trkleri 2 (Turkish Folk Songs from Istanbul, CD 2)
Produced by: İstanbul Bykşehir Belediyesi

Title: Kamoma Tou/Aeroplano Tha Paro
Artist: Xaris Alexiou
Album: Ta Tsilika, CD 1

Anton Efendi
25-04-2006, 20:02
There is one song (makam saba) that is also in both turkish and greek called "sala sala." Does anyone have that available for sharing?

Thanks.

Hakem
25-04-2006, 20:14
Here is Sala Sala in Turkish

(The Greek version will be posted in the Greek section)

Title: Bir Dalda Iki Kiraz (Sallasana)
Album: İstanbul Trkleri 1 (Turkish Folk Songs from Istanbul, CD 1)
Publisher: İstanbul Bykşehir Belediyesi

Lyrics:
Bir Dalda İki Kiraz
İstanbul-Ahmet Yamacı

Bir Dalda İki Kiraz
Biri Al, Biri Beyaz
Eğer Beni Seversen
Mektubunu Sıka Yaz

Sallasana, Sallasana Mendilini
Akşam Oldu Gondersene Sevdiğimi

Bir Dalda İki Ceviz
Aramız Derya Deniz
Sen Orada Ben Burda
Ne Bed Kaldı Ne Beniz

Sallasana, Sallasana Mendilini
Akşam Oldu Gondersene Sevdiğimi

aelhajj
25-04-2006, 21:05
Another song, common in Turkish and Greek: the first is in Turkish, and the second is Greek by the Greek diva Xaris Alexiou.

Title: Bahcelerde Aslama Aslamayi Taslama
Album: İstanbul Trkleri 2 (Turkish Folk Song from Istanbul, CD 2)
Produced by: İstanbul Bykşehir Belediyesi

Title: Kamoma Tou/Aeroplano Tha Paro
Artist: Xaris Alexiou
Album: Ta Tsilika, CD 1
Hakem Pasha, much thanks to you for these 2 songs. Man I have been missing a lot. Next meeting with
my Greek/Turkish friends will be centred around these songs for sure.

Shukran Jazeelan. Excellent stuff.

Hakem
25-04-2006, 21:18
You are most welcome Albert! Yes bring the Greek and Turkish friends, and let us know of any interesting comments and/or reactions! Enjoy!

AmbroseBierce
25-04-2006, 22:31
Thanks Hakem, nice songs. When listening to them another question came up to my mind: There's some much choir music in Turkey. Is that originally Turkish, I mean going back to Ottoman sources, or is it an adaptation from European classical music?

Anton Efendi
25-04-2006, 22:53
Thanks so much for the Sala! That song is so cool!

Now Albert, when you sit with your Turkish and Greek friends to have coffee, do you have Turkish, Greek, Cypriot, or Arabic coffee?!

Here's the solution to this riddle: drink tea!

Hakem
26-04-2006, 00:26
Very interesting obervation Paul. Even the great songs of Dede Efendi I posted are also choir. Most of the albums I got from Istanbul, also choir. I am not sure if this how they were performed in their contemporary time, and these reproduction are artist choices. Influences are perhpas European, or Byzantine. But as we know Ottoman society was multicultural and diverse, and a melting pot for the arts. This is an interesting musicology project to embark on!

TO ANTON EFENDI: interesting comment indeed! Instead of drinking tea, get Turkish coffee & name the coffee according to the nationality of the drinker hehehe. However, historically, it was the Ottomans who introduced coffee to Greece, Cyprus, and to the rest of Europe, so perhaps the best name would be Ottoman coffee. Cheers!

aelhajj
12-05-2006, 20:46
To welcome my dear friend Albert to the forum, I add Anatolian folk songs, common in Turkish and Greek.

What destroys nationalist myths more than art that shows the continuation and interaction between cultures, rather than the myths of origins and fights over which come "first" ...etc.

I start with "Katibim", known in Greek as "Apo xeno topo", and Arabic as "Ya Banat Iskenderya."

Source CD:İstanbul Türküleri 2 (Turkish Folk Songs from Istanbul, CD 2). Produced by: İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi

Turkish Lyrics:

Usküdar'a gider iken aldı da bir yağmur
Katibimin setresi uzun eteği çamur

Katibime kolalı da gomlek ne güzel yaraşır

Usküdar'a gider iken bir mendil buldum
Mendilimin içine de lokum doldurdum

Katibime kolalı da gomlek ne güzel yaraşır

Shukran, Efxariso poli Ya hakem. Alla ydeemak ya Ustaz.
a

25-06-2006, 11:06
With everybody's permission, I deleted the rapidshare link and am uploading all the tracks here with the plea not to use such upload sites any more. If a file or a series of files are to be uploaded, it is here it should be done. A debate was held concerning the appropriateness of uploading full albums. Should we decide to refrain from such a practice, we will simply have to delete these files, but this has no bearing on the way in which we provide the files.

25-06-2006, 11:18
And here are the last five tracks:

inframusti
01-07-2006, 17:02
yusufziya I dont really agree wih you
I thing that CandanERcetin can sing very very good.
maybe the arrangement is modern, but there are people who like it in a modern way:)

inframusti
01-07-2006, 17:18
this is one of my favourite song.. http://qsmile.com/qsimages/177.gif
but not from Candan Eretin..

i guess you have not heard him..
Ahmet Kaya...
maybe you have..
pretty better he says i guess..
only in turkish version..
i converted the file to 56 kps..cos my upload is so slow http://qsmile.com/qsimages/251.gif
looks like arabesk music http://qsmile.com/qsimages/1.gif
wish you like it http://qsmile.com/qsimages/15.gif

what a wonderful voice...

AmbroseBierce
01-07-2006, 23:45
yusufziya I dont really agree wih you
I thing that CandanERcetin can sing very very good.
maybe the arrangement is modern, but there are people who like it in a modern way:)

You're right for sure. Still, I think Candan Ercetin is already beyond what the Turkish section of this particular forum is about: strictly classical music. So, please don't move into the modern field here.

tecladista
02-07-2006, 20:30

Source CD:İstanbul Trkleri 2 (Turkish Folk Songs from Istanbul, CD 2). Produced by: İstanbul Bykşehir Belediyesi

Turkish Lyrics:

Uskdar'a gider iken aldı da bir yağmur
Katibimin setresi uzun eteği amur

Uskdar'a gider iken bir mendil buldum
Mendilimin iine de lokum doldurdum

What a surprise!!!!!
This song is very popular in my country (in its arabic version) and every inmigrant says that is a traditional song from Syria /Lebanon:confused: :confused:
however, her is another version from this beautifull song, I do not know who is the singer, if you know I 'll be very happy!!!!!!!:D

Hakem
04-07-2006, 12:46
Thanks so much for the Arabic version. I was looking for it for ages, but do you have a complete one in Arabic? And can you give us the name of the singer & album of this posted song.

Yes, this song has versions in all Balkan countries and Bulgaria. It seems the Turkish might be the oldest. Najib has told me about a documentary film done on this song called "Whose Song Is it?"

Salam,
Hakem.

tecladista
04-07-2006, 18:45
Thanks so much for the Arabic version. I was looking for it for ages, but do you have a complete one in Arabic? And can you give us the name of the singer & album of this posted song.

Yes, this song has versions in all Balkan countries and Bulgaria. It seems the Turkish might be the oldest. Najib has told me about a documentary film done on this song called "Whose Song Is it?"

Salam,
Hakem.
Salam
I am looking on the net and I find this one from Mohammed el bakkar ensemble, and the album is Port Said
I put it in this section but if you think that It has to be moved, please tell me;)

Hakem
06-07-2006, 15:47
Allah Allah! Thanks so much! FINALLY!
I would say this song belongs to this section because the tune is Anatolian and not Arabic, and entered Greater Syria through the Turkish version. But if someone thinks otherwise let us know.
Thanks again!
Hakem.

Anton Efendi
22-08-2006, 16:36
Good to be back folks, hope all are well, and those who have families in Lebanon, I hope all your loved ones are well.

I've recently rediscovered in my archives this fantastic traditional song from Diyarbakır (this version is by Celal Gzelses). Enjoy. Hopefully, more such songs to come soon as time permits.

Here are the lyrics (I've figured out the first verse and the refrain. I would appreciate it if any of our Turkish speakers could translate), and best regards.

ESMERİM BİÇİM BİÇİM
ÖLÜREM ESMER İÇİN
ALEM BANA DÜŞMANDIR
ESMER SEVDİĞİM İÇİN LOY

HELE LOY LOY LOY
KİBAR YARİM ESMERİM LOY

BİR TAŞ ATTIM HAVAYA
DÜŞTÜ MAHPUSHANEYE
ONBEŞ KIZI KANDIRDIM
BİR ŞİŞE LAVANTAYA AY AY

ESMER BUGÜN AĞLAMIŞ
YÜREĞİMİ DAĞLAMIŞ
KARA KAŞIN ÜSTÜNE
SİYAH PUŞİ BAĞLAMIŞ LOY

Hakem
06-09-2006, 13:29
Thanks for this. Sounds interesting. But do u have on MP3 or iTunes format. Also, do u know the source CD?
Best,
Hakem.

Najib
07-09-2006, 12:59
Hakem and I have discovered Bilalis whilst on a visit to St John's monasterdy in Essex.

The Cd says that he's a psalti and a Hafiz wow!

Hakem
06-11-2006, 19:57
One of the most beautiful and most famous folk songs of Istanbul. The song became popular among many groups, and there are Greek and Ladino (Jewish-Spanish), as well as a Cypriot version ("Tsi Vasili"). The same tune is also used by the Jewish community of Aleppo in worship (see below). This version here reflects this diversity.

It is a folk song, the "composers" are therefore the people! It was one of the first songs recorded in 1930 by Istanbul-born the diva Roza Askinazi. Probably, Roza's version is the oldest existing trace of the song.

I have posted the Roza's version at
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1005&page=2

ALBUM: Yahudice: Ladino Şehir Mziği
(Urban Ladino Music: from Istanbul, Izmir, Salonika, & Jerusalem)
BY: Hadass Pal-Yarden

Artists:
Arrangement: Yurdal Tokcan (Oud) and Goskel Baktagir (kanun)
Slim Guler: Kemence, vocal (Turkish)
Emrullah Senguller: Cello
Yinon Muallem: darbuka, def, daire, bendir, cymbals and bells
Baki Kemanci: Violin
Stelyo Berber: Vocal (Greek)
Hadass Pal-Yarden: Vocal (Ladino)

"VELVET" SONG
translation of lyrics:

HEBREW:
I have faith in you,
Oh, God, ruler of all your creatures.
With honour and fear, I thank you.

This Hebrew part is a Baqashot. The Baqashot (or "bakashot", שירת הבקשות) are a collection of supplications, songs, and prayers that have been sung by the Sephardic Jewish community of Aleppo and other congregations for centuries each week on Shabbat (Saturday) morning "from midnight till dawn". Usually they are recited during the weeks of winter, when the nights are much longer. The duration of the services is usually about four hours.
(Source: Wikipedia)

TURKISH:
Kadifeden kesesi
His purse is of velvet

kahveden gelir sesi
His voice comes from the coffeehouse

Oturmuş kumar oynar
He's sitting, playing cards (gambling)

Ah ciğerimin, ah ciğerimin köşesi
Ah, my heart!

Aman yolla Beyoğluna yolla
Aman, send him to Beyoglu (a street in Istanbul where Greeks & Jews lived)

Haydi yolla İstanbula yolla
Come on! let's go to Istanbul

Yolla yolla yar yolla
Let's go, love, let's go

GREEK:
I want to come one night to your vevet room
To see your two eyes, that have set me on fire.
Tell me, what was the anger about last night?
Two friends of yours met me, and they told me things about you

LADINO:
Tus kaveyos sedas son,
Your hair is of silk

Kortados a-la-garson
Cut "a-la-Garson"

I kuando sales de'l kuafer
When you come out of the coiffeur's,

Tu alegras, tu alegras el korason
You make the heart rejoice.

Anton Efendi
08-11-2006, 00:59
Here's a version of Katifes by Mavrothis Kontanis, a NY-based Greek oud player.

http://oudcafe.com/recordings.htm

Hakem
08-11-2006, 17:44
Thanks for this. The Oud playing is really nice, the style of singing is different than the one's I've heard before. If you have the clip, please try to post it after the Greek one of Roza, in the Greek section. It will be a nice reference to juxtapose both knowing that there 70 years difference!
thanks again.

emirasad
30-11-2006, 20:51
http://www.turkudostlari.net/nota.asp?turku=1621
This thread has a mirror Greek one in the Greek section, and is available at:
http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1005

==========================
I am sure you have enjoyed Qaddukal Mayyas on the Kudsi Erguner album Rebetiko from Istanbul! Well, here is the complete song, in both Turkish and Greek. According to the album information, the composer of the music is unknown, which makes it part of the folk tradition of Anatolia, and therefore it has had Greek, Turkish, Arabic versions, and who knows who else in the region has it!

Album: Aman Doktor
Singer: Candan Eretin

Her voice is great, but the music arrangement is a bit modern for a traditional folk song. However, I am happy to see interest in folk music on a popular level.

Turkish and Greek Lyrics:

Ada Sahillerinde // ΜΑΤΙΑ ΜΟΥ, ΜΑΤΙΑ ΜΟΥ

Ah, ada sahillerinde bekliyorum
Her zaman yollarını gözlyorum
Seni senden gzelim istiyorum
Beni şad et Şadiye başım iin

Nerede o mis gibi leylaklar
Sararıp solmak zere yapraklar
Bana mesken olunca topraklar
Beni yad et gzelim başın iin

Ματια μου, ματια μου, ματια μου
Των οματιων μου ματια
Τα ματια μου δεν ειδανε σαν τα δικα σου ματια
(Matya mu, matya mu, matya mu
Ton omatyon mu matya
Ta matya mu den idane san ta dika su matya)

Σαν πας στα ξενα, παρε και μενα
Παρε και μενα για συντροφια
Μακρια κι αν θα σαι, να με θυμασαι,
Να με θυμασαι παντοτινα
(San pas sta ksena, pare ke mena
Pare ke mena ğia sindrofya
Makrya ki an tha se, ne ma thimase
Na me thimase pandotina)

Adalardan modalara geilir
Yar elinden zehir olsa iilir
Bu dnyada başa gelen ekilir
Beni şad et Şadiye başın iin

Hakem
08-12-2006, 15:50
Thanks for the music score of Ada Sahillerinde. I will try playing it on my flute!
Best,
Hakem.

Hakem
18-04-2008, 19:01
Folk songs from the Izmir area from a new album by Muammer Ketencoğlu..

Album Title:
İzmir Hatırası: Eski İzmir'den Trk, Rum, ve Yahudi Trkleri
("Smyrna Recollections: Old Turkish, Rum, and Jewish Folk Songs from Smyrna")
Published by KALAN 2008

As the subtitle of the album suggests that Izmir/Smyrna had communities speaking Turkish, Greek (Rumca), and Ladino (Yahudica).. which makes the current classification of the forum problematic... I hope we can replace it with a classification system that reflects the realities of the music we are dealing with, rather than representing it using the post-WW1 nation-state borders. I am calling on the forum to have one section for all Anatolian traditions (just like the one for Bilad el-Sham/Greater Syria section).

I feature 3 songs here in 3 languages despite the fact that we are in a "Turkish" thread:

Turkish: Şu İzmir'den Çekirdeksiz Nar Gelir / From Izmir Comes Seedless Pomegranates

Ladino: Alma Miya / My Love /Canım Benim

Greek: To Dervisaki / The Dervish / Derviş

Enjoy!