PDA

: Sadettin Kaynak the composer

AmbroseBierce
08-03-2006, 21:06
Najib's recent post of a composition of Dede Efendi inspired me to leaf through my CDs of Turkish music and one album fell into my hands which I hadn't taken much notice of until today. It is the recording of a live concert of the Instanbul based Emre Ensemble in Munich in 1994 (Silkroad, YU 1341). From that CD I'd like to present two particularly beautiful compositions by the composer Sadettin Kaynak (1895-1961), and, because I liked it so much, a brief Kaside. The first composition is sung with a text by Yunus Emre, "Boynunu bkme dolap". The second composition uses a text by Ali Ulvi Kurucu: "Levlake ya Muhammed".

The ensemble consists of Ahmet Kadri Rizeli (kemence), Raha Sagbas (kanun), Nejat Sansal (ney, halile), Mehmet Cemal Yesilcay (ud, director), Kazim Etik (kudm), Sam Schlamminger (bendir), Mustafa Dogan Dikmen (vocals, kudm) and the men's choir of the Emre Ensemble Istanbul.

Najib
09-03-2006, 12:50
Kaynak is a wonderful composer. He is very respected amongst Turkish musicians.

AmbroseBierce
12-03-2006, 22:58
Here is a short recording of Sadettin Kaynak himself (from the Website of the Turkish Government, Ministry of Culture and Tourism): "Nar-ı Nicrane Düşüp".

AmbroseBierce
12-03-2006, 23:32
Another beautiful composition of Sadettin Kaynak is the Hüzzam Sharki "Saatlerce Bashbasha", here sung by the wonderful Safiye Ayla, the wife of the oud virtuoso and composer Sherif Muhiddin Targan. The piece was (re-)published on the Traditional Crossroads CD "Women of Istanbul".

AmbroseBierce
13-03-2006, 00:06
The first of these three compositions of Sadettin Kaynak, "Dyek - Shehnaz Ilhi", is sung by the great singer Bekir Sidki Sezgin. It is from the 3-CD-set "Bekir Sidki Sezgin", published by KAF Mzik and Trk Mzikisi Vakfi (no date given).

The other two, "Cikar yclerden" and "Leyla", are sung by the legendary Mnir Nurettin Selcuk, published on the 1994 Traditional Crossroads album "Istanbul 1925".

AmbroseBierce
13-03-2006, 01:26
One more Kaynak composition: "Yollarina Gl Döktm", played on the oud by Rusen Yilmaz (from the Yildirim Plak CD "Ud Ile Nostalji-2").

Najib
13-03-2006, 14:05
Thanks Paul,

I will put some of his singing as published on the Kaynak album by Kalan.

Cheers
Najib