PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Great Voices from Constantinople

Najib
09-03-2006, 18:23
A wonderful Rounder Records CD that holds free style singing from two very famous voices of the golden era in Turkey.

The 1st is Hafiz Burhan, and the second is Antonios Dalgas.

Enjoy!

AmbroseBierce
09-03-2006, 23:05
Aah, two excellent singers. Thanks a lot, Najib, for these treasures.

Rounder Records can take credit for publishing quite a lot of gems of Turkish music from the first decades of the 20th century. Here are two more small pieces from their album "Masters of Turkish Music": The Jewish singer Isak El-Gazi (1889-1950) with a gazel "Bi-karar olmakti sevmekten muradi gönlümün" in Makam Hicaz:

"My heart desired love's agony
You granted my wish, I am distraught now
I sought only happiness
My fate undone, I am lost."

and the wonderful Safiye Ayla (1895-1961) with Sadettin Kaynak's sarki "Saatlerce basbasa kaldigimiz geceler" in Makam Hüzzam:

"Those long nights we spent together
Ah, those sweet moments my heart is longing for
Those moments, those sweet hours are now a dream
Those sweet moments my foolish heart is longing for."

AmbroseBierce
31-05-2006, 22:53
These days I got hold of that album also and can't refrain from posting two more Gazels by the wonderful Hafiz Burhan.

Here are some biographical notes from the booklet:
"Hafiz Burhan Sesyilmaz (Constantinople 23rd May 1897 - Ankara 18th April 1947) - real name Burhaneddin - was the son of a member of the Imperial Guard of Sultan Abdul Hamid II. After leaving secondary school he joined the Imperial band and also devoted himself to learning the Koran by heart. The achievement of this feat earned him the title "Hafiz" (one who has memorized the Koran, or, in the vernacular, simpleton). Burhan became well known as a Cantor and reciter of the Koran and was also renowned as a singer, particularly of the Gazel, or Amané, many of which he composed. He began recording for Columbia in 1925. His records sold in large numbers and he soon became wealthy, commanding substantial fees for personal appearances. Although considered by purists to be something of a vulgar grandstander, Burhan possessed an outstanding voice and was capable of performances unsurpassed in their emotional excitement and beauty."

tecladista
23-06-2006, 01:09
Amazing, Just Amazing!!!!!!!!
Thanks A Lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Smoth
01-11-2006, 04:16
Any one has Safiye Ayla album or songs. please post here, she has great voice.

John

bekirbaloglu
02-11-2006, 01:25
Hello my friends. I'm living Istanbul. I don't know where Constantinople, I know ISTANBUL.
ISTANBUL is true, Constantinople is false. Please check.

AmbroseBierce
06-11-2006, 00:49
Istanbul - of course. I was quoting from the booklet, and there it said Constantinople.

Najib
06-11-2006, 11:42
Dear Bekir,

You are living in Constantinople my friend!

Istanbul is still the Greek name of the city even after it fell in the hand of the Ottomans.

Istanbul = eis tin poli (which means to the city - Referred sometimes as The City (poli) because of how big it is)

And Constantinople is still used in music and literature to reference this great city of yours.

It was Ataturk who officially changed its name to Istanbul in the 1st part of the twenty century.

Arabs and Turks also used the name Konstantinyye in a lot of literature.

You can refer to it in any way you like, but it is the "wrong" labelling that I'm objecting to here.

Salamat
Najib

Hakem
06-11-2006, 13:00
As a matter of fact both the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires called this great city in the same terms. Both used "Constantinople" (Kostantinyye) in official documents and Is-tan-boli (Greek), Istanbul (Turkish) in their everyday language. In all European documents till, even after, the establishment of the Turkish Republic, Constantinople was still in use.

I am not sure if our friend here really does not know that Constantinople is the name of the city for over 1500 years, or he is saying this to make a political statement?

Denying any chapter of the history of this great city is doing it injustice. It is a city that was, and will be, beyond the borders of any nation-state or any nationalist project. This forum is a wonderful manifestation of this, as we express this multi-layered cultural and linguistic richness in its music.

The evolution of the name of The City is historically traced in the following article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Istanbul

bekirbaloglu
08-11-2006, 22:25
I know Constantinople of course. However i tried to say it is a big false. Istanbul have a lot of names in history. For example: Islambol, Der-saadet, Deraliyye, Vizant, Südde-i Saadet, Çargrad... (Istanbul have 33 names) Just now the word "Istanbul" belongs the Turkish and ISTANBUL! This is not nationalism. Just to show respect to culture. Our language is the Music and we have to communicate with notes.

bekirbaloglu
08-11-2006, 22:26
We can't communicate with politics.

Najib
09-11-2006, 11:20
We can't communicate with notes either if we don't understand each other.

I don't think you understood what I wrote neither what Hakem wrote.

No one is taking away Istanbul from you, but don't take it from us either!

"You know Constantinople, but it's a big false"

Can you explain that to me please?

You either know the history of your city and acknowledge it or you don't!