PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : More from Saliba el Qatrib

Najib
28-03-2006, 11:05
موشح ملا الكاسات - محمد عثمان
موال مين اللي بين الحبايب + موشح يا شادي الألحان لسيد درويش

قصيدة وحقك أنت المنى والطلب - لأبي العلا محمد

Muwashshah Mala el Kasat - Muhammad Uthman

Mawwal Min Illy beyn el Habayeb and Muwashshah Ya Shady el Alhan - Sayyed Darweesh

Qasidat Wa Haqqika Antal Muna Wal Talab - Abu'l 3ila Muhammad

Just notice what he does with the Oud in Ya Shady el Alhan.

I hate him :-)

أبو علاء
28-03-2006, 11:23
This simply fantastic, Najib. I'm just listening now and his interpretation of Mala-l-kasat is so compelling!

theoudman
28-03-2006, 12:53
Here is Saliba Qatrib singing Sayid Darwishs dawr ana haweit

theoudman
28-03-2006, 13:13
Here is Saliba Qatrib singing dawr emta el hawa by Zakariya Ahmad

أبو علاء
28-03-2006, 13:27
من الواضح أنّ "زمن الرّبيع أقبل" كما تقل نوبة المالوف التّونسيّ، أو ربيع الزّمان (زمان الوصل طبعا) ؛ شكرا يا صاحب العود.

Najib
28-03-2006, 13:31
Thank you x 100000 x 100000

Man this is great, I'm so grateful.

I'm also proud that within my litle Mina (town which means sea port literally) in Tripoli, and exactly from my small quartier, two greats were born, Farah Antoun, and Saliba el Qatrib.

أبو علاء
28-03-2006, 13:55
من الواضح أنّ "زمن الرّبيع أقبل" كما تقل نوبة المالوف التّونسيّ، أو ربيع الزّمان (زمان الوصل طبعا) ؛ شكرا يا صاحب العود.

Sorry, Victor, this post was addressed to you to thank your for these nice pieces, but, for a while I took you fo another member who uses the same nick (without the article, though).

Hattouma
28-03-2006, 17:31
Here is Saliba Qatrib singing dawr emta el hawa by Zakariya Ahmad

OUdman This is great , i saw you uploaded an old taqsim Nahawand allow me to upload it here as well..
Was (or is ) there any commercial releases for Saliba ? which label ?

theoudman
28-03-2006, 17:49
I actually got this recently im attaching the labels
I only have one other commercial release of him playing longa sabbokh
I will attach below

شادي الالحان
28-03-2006, 20:30
الله يعطيكم العافيه يا كبار

Hattouma
28-03-2006, 21:31
a 1000 thanks Victor ! ( 1000 Shukr !! : )

3amr
29-03-2006, 04:52
now it's official: I've died and gone to heaven.

Najib
29-03-2006, 10:04
I'm sure your father can translate this, but we say:

Allah Yukhrub Zouqak

Man this is fantastic! Thanks!

theoudman
29-03-2006, 13:02
Since we talked about it yesterday, here is Saliba Qatrib once again, singing the dawr ya qalbi kan malak

Najib
29-03-2006, 13:10
Man you are dangerous!

3amr
29-03-2006, 13:22
this man's right hand is not the right hand of a human being, at least not as befitting what is generally expected that a human hand is capable of.

Magnificent.

I renew the call, please, anybody with any Saliba material of any sort, it is perhaps a crime against humanity not to post it.

Najib
29-03-2006, 13:27
listening and thinking along the same lines.

This guy is the undisputed king of inverted plectra "Richa Maqloubah", and his sense of internal rhythm when playing the oud is unbelievable. With the rhythm he is influenced a lot by Zakaria I think.

we "Yamma el Gharam Lawwa3"! roughly means "how much love has made people suffer"

Maybe this is the best Lawwa3 I've heard after Matta3 Hayatak.

Theoudman please check your private messages thanks!

3amr
29-03-2006, 13:31
this inverted plectrum technique is most definitely very intriguing.

can you please explain exactly how it works?

Najib
29-03-2006, 13:42
Hi,

beare in mind that I'm a computer engineer and not a musician.

So from an amateur Oud player perspective, it's simply when you play two adjacent notes you play one with a down plectra, and the other one with an up plectra.

Now the genious of someone like Qatrib is when playing these consecutive notes so quickly, you cannot distinguish which note is he playing with a down plectra and which one he is playing with an up plectra.

Furthermore it is the way he fills the musical gaps with hundreds of these up and down bursts, but yet he remains spot on with his rhythm.

The great example of this is his interpretation of Semai Aryan.

Please Victor tell me that you've got a good version of it, because mine is rubbish!

3amr
29-03-2006, 13:49
and don't worry, your explanation is more than sufficient.

I second the request about the bayatil aryan.

and I shall spend the rest of the day pondering about risha technique. (as if I really needed something else to make me reconsider exactly how much I suck as an oud player).

anybody notices a resemblance between saliba's tone and George Michel's tone, and general picking style? (judging by the few recording of both that I have heard).

Amr

Najib
29-03-2006, 13:54
Qasabgi, George Michel, and Qatrib's style are very related.

When you come to George Michel, its his Rash style that is amazing, so up and down plectrum very quickly for the same note.

What I love about George Michel's style is the way he finishes a musical sentence. You could hear, despite him being quick, every single note to the last fraction of a second.

The best example of this is his sublime Kurd teksim at the beginning of a
3abbas el bilidi Kurd waslah.

I'll think it's here, otherwise I'll upload it.

Najib
29-03-2006, 13:58
Please find it under Waslet Hicaz Kar Kurd here:

http://www.zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=416&page=2&highlight=%CC%E6%D1%CC

3amr
29-03-2006, 14:02
if you're refering to the one where Mr. Bilidi sings ana hawait, yes, it's already up. It is enough that Mr. bilidi's singing alone is enough to cause psychological damage. George Michel finishes the job there however.

I find myself forced to beg for someway to obtain the video's of the waslat, considering as I understand it, that is their original format.

as for Saliba (the original topic of this thread). I believe I've made my position clear enough. (if only transport was easier, I'ld be running all around trablos right now, considering I'm falling in love with all singers from there, a case of "influenza il trabilsiyyeh" I suppose).

Najib
29-03-2006, 14:20
that's the one, it is the most beautiful Kurd introduction I've ever heard!

3amr
29-03-2006, 14:28
Though I am not qualified to judge, I'ld say the kanun isn't half bad either. (with a weird, sort of turn of the century kanun tone that I'm not accustomed to hearing in recordings so recent).

theoudman
29-03-2006, 14:41
For Najib
Enjoy

Najib
29-03-2006, 15:04
Thanks a lot, it's better than my recording of the oriental tunes one.

3amr, the moments I'm talking about are 4'04 and 4'22 in his genious way of filling the repetitions of the Teslim.

theoudman
29-03-2006, 15:22
Here is another great Qatrib recording that i downloaded from the internet a while ago.
This was recorded in Tripoli in 1955.

Najib
29-03-2006, 15:34
I had this I think from Oriental Tunes, but yours is a better digitization.

3amr
29-03-2006, 15:57
yes, I figured out the "moments" you were talking about, and it's safe to say that nobody in the forseable future will be doing anything like this. (unless someone spends two years practicing this particular technique, which would be a really good Idea anyway).

as for the Ana fi Sukrayn,
It might well be my favourite arabic recording of all time. (quite serious there).
I suspect it is nahawand?
anybody who has information about this song, it would be greatly appreciated. (I suppose sheetmusic is well nigh impossible to find for something like this, and transcribing it is out of question, given the amount of improvisation he does.)

theoudman
29-03-2006, 16:41
Yes this piece is in nahawand and its belongs to the shami folklore
I dont know if we know the composer.
I have 2 other versions of this piece, one by Soubhi Tawfik and one by Nour Mehana but believe me, you cant listen to either after hearing Qatribs rendition.

Najib
29-03-2006, 16:52
thanks for sparing us both :-))

Najib
29-03-2006, 17:52
Have you heard the teksim at the beginning of Ana Haweyt!!

Man is this Qatrib or Yorgo Bacanos?

Oh my god, the importance here is that he is also a master of the down-only plectra which is usually the specialty of the balkan people because of their long necked instruments!

I think this is a historical proof of how close the early twenty century musicians were to Turkey!

Singing wise I think the proof is there if you listen to the Lagrange Farjallah Baida episode, you will see the striking relation between his style and the style the Gazel is sung in Turkey.

I kept seeing traces of this in the singing of Wadih and Sabah, until it was all up-your-face when you listen to Farjallah baida.

3amr
29-03-2006, 19:55
About the Ana Hawait Taksim,
now that you've mentioned it, I can most definitely see some bacanos elements in there, though they are still very much Saliba's character.

I was actually surprized at first that you hadn't commented on that taksim, because I though it was quite remarkable, it hadn't occured to me that you haven't listened to it yet.

it's a shame though to hear Saliba's voice so tired in his later recordings, particularly after hearing how beautiful and supple it was in his younger recordings such as ana hawait and ana fi sukrayn, but he was still as good with an oud as the best of them, not to mention that his interpretation is quite quite compelling (citing malal kasat as an example).

As for the Farajallah Bayda recording, zeryab had posted it before not knowing who the singer was, and when I listened to the episode, I was shocked to discover it was Farajallah Bayda. In any case, it is very very similar to gazel style, and to the modern greats. However, and I was quite surprized about this point, there are strong similarities in vocal and improvisational styles between the bayda mawwal, and iraqi maqam singing. Particularly some of the ornaments, and some of the qaflat (there was a couple of qaflat that reminded me very strongly of the typical Madmi qafla, my internet is a bit dead now, but I'll probably post an example this couple of days).

It's a shame, but it appears that turkish music has conserved much more of the spirit of its golden age than we have managed to, not to mention having developed a theoritical basis which is more in touch with actual performance practice, thus conserving subtleties that were unfortunately lost in arabic music. (I am considering posting an emtal hawa by umm kulthum which I believe is from zeryab, though it could be on this forum, which illustrates the weird treatment the huzzam is getting in terms of intonation.)

Long post, but still, I'll reply to the rest tomorrow. (as I mentioned, internet a bit nutty).

Hattouma
03-04-2006, 21:44
Htheir long necked instruments!

Singing wise I think the proof is there if you listen to the Lagrange Farjallah Baida episode, you will see the striking relation between his style and the style the Gazel is sung in Turkey.

I kept seeing traces of this in the singing of Wadih and Sabah, until it was all up-your-face when you listen to Farjallah baida.

Najib ..i heard this in Alia Elmunzer ''s recording before (the mother of Farid and Asmahan )..which reminded me of the Perisan and Iraqi way of singing (i listened to the Irani before the Turkish you see, but they are linked ,just as the long-necked lutes are :) ) ..Salama Hegazi is the only Egyptian as far as i know that touches this way of singing ... (yet again ..we have no long necked lutes in Egypt haha :)

3amr
05-04-2006, 14:34
so it's not just me who thinks there is a similarity with Iraqi singing style (not that the musical forms are similar, but speaking of general vocal technique and mannerisms and such)>

theoudman
18-03-2007, 12:40
This recording illustrates Salibas legendary rishi technique and impeccable sense of rhythm.

3amr
18-03-2007, 12:59
AMAZING.

Thanks you so much for this rare document.

It is really sad that this man never got the fame he deserved, and didn't leave us any students (at least none that I know of).

Najib
19-03-2007, 00:30
Arpege on Wuhdah was the Qatrib surprise for me here. Wow.

Thanks, it's a now-I've-seen-it-all feeling after you listen to this giant.

kabh01
19-03-2007, 00:45
As far as I remember Alhan Zaman did one or two episodes on Saliba Al-Quatrib. Would anyone happen to have recorded them by any chance?

theoudman
21-03-2007, 16:01
Saliba Qatrib singing ana fintizarak

Najib
21-03-2007, 16:06
Thanks a lot Victor, other than his immaculate richa in playing, his rendition of the actual song is so amazing so himself so not mimicking Umm Kulthum.

theoudman
21-03-2007, 16:14
Yep, I agree 100%, he puts his own flavor into every song he sings, making it his own.

Najib
21-03-2007, 16:18
And this is at the heart of our website/project.

It's a bit incomplete towards the end?

theoudman
21-03-2007, 16:43
Yep unfortunately is it incomplete. This is from a tape I converted. Ana haweit that I posted before, is right before this track.
Its great if you listen to that first and then hear how his taqasim acts as a bridge between the 2 pieces.
He emphasizes the La from the kurd of ana haweit to still give that flavor before fully introducing the hijaz of ana fintizarak.

Najib
21-03-2007, 16:45
It's good you mentioned this because it's been a while I haven't listened to the first one, I'll listen to them consecutively.

luay
21-03-2007, 22:20
I think this is the first time I hear Saliba Qatrib. I like the way he plays the oud, and I love the way he sings Ana Fe-Ntidharak. He does very nice stuff. By the way, is he knocking on the oud while playing (to simulate a percussion)?

Thanks.
Luay

kabh01
21-03-2007, 22:44
Thanks fro this recording.

Any idea what year did Saliba sing it, Mr Oudman? I am just interested to know merely for comparison purposes.

Shame the car horn tooted at minute 8:25!

I would have loved to hear more improvisations and inventions from him in "Ata'allim" and "Twe'edni". This latter was cut off as he was starting to warm up for more lateral thinking. I wonder why! It is not like Saliba to mess up in the end, is it?

Najib
21-03-2007, 23:48
@Hilal the tape is incomplete, Saliba wouldn't finish it like that definitely.

@Luay, someone must be knocking on a table or something next to him to give him the Wuhdah beat.

kabh01
22-03-2007, 01:23
Thanks Najib.

Has anyone got it complete by any chance please?

To be quite honest I am used to Saliba the inventor and this "ana fi intizarak" unfortunately didn't do much for me even though he interpreted it his own style.

Itzik73
29-11-2010, 18:48
There is possibility to obtain picture of Sliba el qatrib?

Najib
30-11-2010, 00:53
Hi Itzik,

My Avatar is Saliba in a swimming suite in St Georges Beach in Beirut.

However if you look in the documents section there is a whole reportage with pictures that I made on Saliba a couple of summers ago by visiting his family in North Lebanon

http://zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4205

Itzik73
30-11-2010, 11:26
Hi Itzik,

My Avatar is Saliba in a swimming suite in St Georges Beach in Beirut.

However if you look in the documents section there is a whole reportage with pictures that I made on Saliba a couple of summers ago by visiting his family in North Lebanon

http://zamanalwasl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4205

Thank you very much najib:D

Kamal Kassar
02-12-2010, 20:22
هذه وصلة لصليبا يغني فيها على التوالي موشح مرّ التجني ودور يا مانت وحشني
هذا التسجيل وجدته صدفة في حاسوب قديم كنت استعمله في لبنان قبل عهد المنتديات الموسيقية ربما أحدهم أمدني بهذا التسجيل ممكن عبد الكريم الشعار والصوت فيه واضح

3amr
07-12-2010, 08:12
جزيل الشكر أخي كمال.

التسجيل كالعادة رائع. أنا للأمانة لم أستمع بتأني لأداء الدور، إلا أن الموشح و الموال كانا كافيين لبعث مزاج طربي فريد. لست أدري ما هي الصفة التي تغشى الصوت فتجعل فيه القدرة على الإطراب.

لربّما كان من الأجدر الإسهام بمشاركة تحليلية إلاّ أن الإستمتاع طغى على الإستماع