PDA

: Christos Zotos & Ionna Anghlou

AmbroseBierce
06-04-2006, 00:38
This section is quite neglected. Obviously we haven't managed to attract someone really learned in the topic of Greek music - including myself. Still, some days back I bought an interesting album by Christos Zotos (vocals and laoto) and Ionna Anghlou (laoto). This, "Musique de la Grce Continental", was recorded in 1993 and published in 1995 by al sur. Quite untypically the booklet doesn't give any information on either the artists or the music itself, except for the lyrics of the songs. As for Christos Zotos, I found some biographic information elsewhere, but I still don't know much about this type of music.

"Christos Zotos was born in 1937 in Kandila, a village in the area of Etoloakarnania (Xsiromero); his father was originally from Filippiada. Early on in his life, at the age of 11, Christos started learning how to play the violin, whilst he secretly tried his father's lute.
Two years later he bought his first lute-guitar with money borrowed by an uncle of his. In the beginning of the 1950s he met the musician who marked him throughout all his carrier: his apprenticeship next to Gerasimos Lalos, the most prominent lute player in all the Greek mainland, lasted for many years. Next to him Zotos was taught both the secrets of the lute technique, and the complex code of conduct of professional folk musicians.
In the 1950s he performed with Vassilis Saleas and the young, at that time, Vassilis Soukas, in the area of Xsiromero. After establishing himself in the major area of north-western Greece, he begun testing himself in the Epirot musical idiom (especially around Ioannina), where he performs with the most renown instrumentalists.
A career that brings him to most parts of the Greek mainland (Epirus, Thessalia, Xriromero, Rumeli) and the large urban centres of the time followed. During this period Zotos performed either as a steady member of certain ensembles or as an accompanist of prominent clarinet players.
In the 1960s Zotos performs in Larisa with Manolis Papageorgiou; later he settles firstly in Agrinio and then in his village. This is followed by his decision to migrate to Canada in 1969 and leave aside his lute for a period of almost 13 years.
Between 1983 and 1984 Zotos returns to Athens followed by his well-respected name. His meeting with Pandelis Kavakopoulos, a researcher in the field of the Greek traditional music, and a producer for ERT, marks a significant turn in his career; endless recordings in the studios of the national radio and TV channels helped him to rediscover, as he is ready to accept, his skill. Since then, Zotos records incessantly, performs in musical venues paniyiria, weddings, in urban and rural contexts and always with the most renown soloists.
He also participates in international music festivals both in Greece and abroad. Performing next to the internationally acclaimed Iraqi oud player, Munir Basir, Zotos will rightfully represent the richness of the Greek folk music as well as a little recognised instrument, which in his own hands will gain new recognition.
Today Zotos tirelessly continues his artistic activity, while his personal discography both as a soloist and an accompanist in both domestic and foreign productions is extensive. His humour and wisdom, as well as his perfectionist but reliable attitude and rigour in pursuing his career render him an important musical figure.
Since the 1990s he has also been teaching; he founded in Athens- in the area of Omonia -a private lute and folk music school and he systematically collaborates in joined projects with other musical schools. Most recently he joined the Department of Folk and Traditional Music (TEI of Epirus) that is based is Arta; in so doing he returned to teach in the very town where he himself was initiated in the lute world." (http://www.teiep.gr/tlpm/~zotos/index.htm)

Najib
06-04-2006, 00:49
Thanks a lot Paul.

My Greek CD-worm expert is back in London.

I will need to twist her arm to participate actively in this section.

By the way have you heard of Christos Tsiamoulis?

AmbroseBierce
06-04-2006, 11:10
Christos Tsiamoulis? No, never heard that name. Who's that? What kind of music he's making?

Najib
06-04-2006, 14:05
He's a very good Oud player, composer and singer.

I'll put more by him soon.

Cheers
Najib

tecladista
20-10-2006, 23:36
Amazing, no doubts!!!!!!!!!!