PDA

مشاهدة جميع الاصدارات : Iranian Ney

AmbroseBierce
23-04-2006, 22:48
To my mind (no offence meant) the most beautiful ney music is played in Iran. I prefer it even to what we hear from the Turkish masters like Kutbay or the Erguners. To illustrate this I give a short suite in Avâz-e Dashti, one of the secondary modes of the Persian classical system.

The ney player is Hossein 'Omoumi, student of Hasan Kasâ'i and the great Mahmud Karimi. 'Omoumi taught at different music institutions in Teheran, but since 1984 he lives mainly in France, teaching at the Centre for the Study of Oriental Music at the Sorbonne. He is accompanied by his great colleague at Sorbonne, Madjid Khaladj, on tombak and daf.

The music was recorded in June 1992 and published on the 1993 Nimbus Records album "Persian Classical Music" (NI 5359).

Hakem
28-04-2006, 21:21
Definitely the technique is very unique I must admit, but I will understand your comment on Iranian ney as a metaphor for your great admiration to it ;)

By the way, the files u posted, each has 5 seconds corrupted, it is so in original, or something changes in the transfer?

AmbroseBierce
28-04-2006, 21:26
By the way, the files u posted, each has 5 seconds corrupted, it is so in original, or something changes in the transfer?

Oh, really? No, that is definitely not so in the original. And I just downloaded one of my files from here (the shortest one) and don't find any corrupt passage. Maybe it has to do with your computer?

AmbroseBierce
07-05-2006, 02:10
Probably the best ney player from Iran is Hassan Kassai. Most of the present generation ney players, such as Hossein Omoumi presented above, have learned from him. Here is a short biographical sketch and two pieces in Dastgah Shur to illustrate it. The music is from his 1993 PlayaSound album "Le Ney", and he is accompanied on tombak by Djahangir Behesti.

"Hassan Kassai ... was born on September 26, 1928 in Isfahan. His father appreciated music and his home was a popular rendezvous for musicians, among them Seyed Hosein Taherzadeh (vocalist), Akbar Khan Noroozi (tar), Gholamhosein Saranj (kamancheh), Jallil and Hosein Shahnaz (tar), Esmayil Addib Khansari (vocalist), Jaflal Taj Isfahani (vocalist), and Maestro Abolhassan Sabba. Growing up in such a home, Kassai developed a keen sense of musical and vocal appreciation.
His father, having noticed his son's being a music prodigy, asked Taj Isfahani to give him lessons on vocals. In 1947, Maestro Mehdi Navai (a great expert of the nay and one of Nayeb Asdollah's students) agreed to give lessons to the young Kassayi. This tuition period was to last only three months due to the maestro's demise before which he had mentioned to Kassayi's father, "All that I acquired in forty years, this youth learned from me in only three months."
Navai's successor as Kassai's instructor was Maestro Abolhassan Sabba who managed to transfer his unique talent and creativity to Kassayi who in turn took advantage of this opportunity to become acquainted with some of the delicacies of the rich heritage of Iranian music and, thus, achieve the honorable position he holds in music today. Maestro Kassayi has been playing the nay for over fifty years. It is to his credit and a result of his hard work and creative spirit that this instrument has won such recognition nowadays. Many a tune that is played today on the ney would be unthinkable prior to Kassai."